The list recognizes the success of these schools of incorporating physical activity into the everyday curriculum.
From Henrico County Public Schools:
Fifteen Henrico County schools have been named 2016 Active RVA Fit Schools, recognizing their success at incorporating physical activity into their curricula.
The certification is given by healthy-lifestyle nonprofit Sports Backers as part of its Active RVA initiative to promote fitness in the Richmond area. To qualify, a school must show it has made fitness part of its culture through programs and infrastructure, and show measurable results in increasing physical activity among its students, staff and local community.
The certified HCPS schools for 2016 are:
- Dumbarton Elementary School
- Fair Oaks Elementary School
- Gayton Elementary School
- Holladay Elementary School
- Jackson Davis Elementary School
- Johnson Elementary School
- Kaechele Elementary School
- Lakeside Elementary School
- Moody Middle School
- Montrose Elementary School
- Pemberton Elementary School
- Rivers Edge Elementary School
- Three Chopt Elementary School
- Tuckahoe Middle School
- Twin Hickory Elementary School
Representatives of the schools were recognized March 7 at the first Active RVA Summit. The gathering included speakers on a variety of topics related to public health.
The awards and summit recognize “the work done by many organizations to build and motivate an active community and share best practices on encouraging active lifestyles,” said Pete Woody, Sports Backers’ manager of public relations and communications.
“The [certified schools] are great examples to others and are dedicated to the health and wellness of their students, teachers and community.”