Everything is terrible. Nothing is not terrible.
Highlights & Recaps
- Boston College over Virginia Tech, 34-27. Eight turnovers in two games from Tech’s starting quarterback. Which Logan Thomas will show up this weekend?
- #8 Clemson over Virginia, 59-10. Yeah, the Tigers have a pretty great offense, and the Hoos are pretty bad. The Mike London job watch begins…now!
- #3 Florida State over #7 Miami, 41-14. The U IS BACK! Wait, JK, no they aren’t.
- #22 Michigan State over #21 Michigan, 29-6. The Spartans are 5-1 against the Wolverines dating back to 2008! That’s kind of crazy!
— ∮∮∮ —
Virginia Tech at #11 Miami
ESPN • 7:00 PM • Miami -7.0
What’s left to say at this point? If the confident, accurate, and efficient Logan Thomas shows up Saturday night against the Hurricanes, then I love the Hokies’ chances. If he turns the ball over four times, then Tech could lose by 40.
Last week’s performance frustrated the crap out of me, but I think I lost sight of what this season’s about: installing a new offensive system that won’t be mastered for the next couple of years. That’s the reality, and expectations should be adjusted accordingly.
Virginia at UNC
ESPN3 • 12:30 PM • UNC -13.5
UVA sits at 2-7 with zero ACC wins. In fact, the only win the Hoos have against an FBS team is a victory over BYU in the first week of the season (a team that has since defeated Texas, Georgia Tech, and Boise State). Their six-game losing streak ties a similar streak set back in 2009, which ended, mercifully, with the season. This year, however, Virginia still has three games left to play and could extend their current streak to nine games, the worst such streak since at least 2002.
North Carolina is not a great football team either, but the game is in Chapel Hill, and you’ve got to wonder how much the Wahoo’s have left in the tank.
Richmond at Stony Brook
Hey! Great work last week against Albany, Spiders! Time to ride that momentum all the way up to New York and get things done against the Sea Wolves. The Sea Wolves, in addition to having a super weird mascot, have only won three games so the victory is there for the taking! Then things get real with remaining games against Delaware and William & Mary.
— ∮∮∮ —
National game(s) of the week
When was the last time two top-10 games took place on a Thursday night? Since when does ESPN push the Thursday night game back to 9:00 PM Eastern? Why is Fox Sports 1 airing a Thursday night game in the first place? SO MANY QUESTIONS.
- #6 Baylor vs. #10 Oklahoma • Thursday, 7:30 PM • FOX Sports 1
- #3 Oregon at #5 Stanford • Thursday, 9:00 PM • ESPN
ACC game of the week
This, to my knowledge, is the Notre Dame’s first game as an official unofficial member of the ACC.
- #23 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh • 8:00 PM • ABC
- Penn State at Minnesota • 12:00 PM • ESPN2
- #24 Wisconsin vs. BYU • 3:30 PM • ESPN
- #1 Alabama vs. #13 LSU • 8:00 PM • CBS
- #19 UCLA at Arizona • 10:00 PM • EPSN
The Theoretical Playoff
Ha! Here it is, the Alabama-Florida State matchup I was craving!
- Florida State
- Ohio State