The Hokies give up an embarrassing loss to Duke, and the Hoos stare at what could be their sixth straight loss.
Highlights & Recaps
- Duke over Virginia Tech, 13-10. As goes Logan Thomas, so go the Hokies. Four interceptions and zero touchdowns will not get it done against any team, even historically weak Duke. What’s next for Virginia Tech? Who knows. They could go undefeated or win four straight.
- Georgia Tech over Virginia, 35-26. Wahoo QB David Watford attempted 61 passes in their loss to the Yellow Jackets—17 more than his previous 2013 high.
- #21 South Carolina over #5 Mizzou, 27-24. It’s been a wild ride for Mizzou this season: unranked until week seven, ranked fifth last week, and then they fall by three to South Carolina–their first loss of the season. Keep your eye on the Tigers, they’ve got a fairly easy schedule remaining and could run the table leading up to a huge shown against Texas A&M.
- #15 Oklahoma over #10 Texas Tech, 38-30. I guess we care about Oklahoma again? It’s been awhile, Sooners! Check out this great bit of trickeration that turns into a busted play that turns into a touchdown:
— ∮∮∮ —
Virginia Tech at Boston College
ABC • 12:00 PM • VT -4.5
Well, who even knows guys! This week’s game against Boston College should terrify every Hokie fan out there. A 12:00 PM start, in Boston, after a disapointing loss at home–it’s got all the trappings of a lackluster performance by the squad in Maroon and Orange. The Hokies had to take last year’s game in Blacksburg to overtime and don’t have a historically great record in Chestnut Hill. But like I keep saying, the margin of error for this Virginia Tech team is SO small. If the Hokies win the turnover battle, they have a chance of winning the game (which will be true for the rest of the games on their schedule).
Virginia vs. #8 Clemson
ESPN • 3:30 PM • Clem -16.5
Despite how poorly Clemson played against FSU,1 the Tigers bounced back against Maryland and hung 40 points on the Terps. This offense is either scoring half a hundred points or struggling to get anything going. But don’t expect the team that barely eked out 24 against Boston College to show up in Charlottesville this weekend. I’d be shocked if Clemson did anything less than dominate Virginia. But, hey, that’s why they play the games!
Richmond vs. Albany
4:00 PM • SpiderTV
The Spiders face Albany for the first time (head coach Danny Rocco is 2-0 in first-time matchups) this Saturday. At 2-6, Richmond is not a great football team, but neither is Albany (1-7)! Saturday’s weather looks great, and there are a bunch of special promotions going on…maybe it’s time to take the fam to a football game!
— ∮∮∮ —
National / ACC game of the week
- #3 Florida State vs. #7 Miami • 8:00 PM • ABC
- #24 Wisconsin at Iowa • 12:00 PM • ESPN2
- #21 Michigan at #22 Michigan State • 3:30 PM • ABC
- #9 Mizzou vs. Tennessee • 7:00 PM • ESPN
The Theoretical Playoff
I’m starting to get excited for this Florida State-Alabama matchup, how about you?2
- Florida State
- Ohio State
— ∮∮∮ —