Here are a few of the most interesting quotes from this week’s VCU basketball media day.
Wednesday morning, members of the media joined Coach Shaka Smart, Darius Theus, Troy Daniels, Juvonte Reddic, Rob Brandenberg, DJ Haley, and Treveon Graham in the Siegel Center for the VCU basketball media day. The words speak for themselves, here are a few of the most interesting quotes of the day:
1. “We’re just trying to bring, like Coach Smart says, a wild dog mentality.” ~Darius Theus
2. “The thing about expectations is that our internal expectations are as high or higher than external expectations.” ~Coach Smart
3. “Every time we take the floor, we believe we can win.” ~Coach Smart.
4. “We have to hang our hat on our defense.” ~Coach Smart.
5. “I feel like we could be one of the best defensive teams in the country again this year.” ~Juvonte Reddic
6. “Other than Larry [Sanders], and maybe Jamie [Skeen], [Juvonte Reddic] is probably the most talented guy we’ve had since I’ve been here.” ~Coach Smart
7. “It’s easy to have chemistry when nobody is sitting on the bench.” ~Coach Smart
8. “Teddy Okereafor is maybe our most improved player on the team.” ~Coach Smart
9. “I love our freshmen” ~Darius Theus
10. “Melvin [Johnson] is a great shooter, and he’s going to show everyone he’s a great shooter.” ~Darius Theus
11. “[Melvin Johnson] can have scoring outbursts where he can go get 6, 8, 9 points over the course of two minutes and change a game.” ~Coach Smart
12. “When we recruited [Treveon Graham], we told him that I felt like he could be the all-time leading scorer at VCU.” ~Coach Smart
13. “I think all of our guards are going to play.” ~Coach Smart
14. On the schedule and the Battle 4 Atlantis: “When you’re a little kid, that’s what you dream of, to play college basketball and to play against the best schools. ~Darius Theus
15. “Probably 75% of our practice is spent on defense.” ~Coach Smart
16. “I’m an eternal optimist, so I always think we’re going to be better.” ~Coach Smart
17. “I don’t want to talk about that Indiana game.” & “Coaches never get over close losses.” ~Coach Smart
— ∮∮∮ —