On February 29th, 1956 the Virginia War Memorial was opened and dedicated.
The Virginia War Memorial (621 South Belvidere St.) will be holding a special ceremony on Monday, February 29th at 5 PM to commemorate 60th anniversary of its dedication. The image above is from that dedication in 1956.
The ceremony will include official naming of Memorial’s Grand Plaza in honor of the Honorable Frank D. Hargrove, Sr., former member of Virginia House of Delegates and former chair of Virginia War Memorial Board of Trustees.
The ceremony will take place at the Grand Plaza and Shrine of Memory where William J. Howell, Speaker, Virginia House of Delegates will be the keynote speaker.
Other speakers include:
- The Hon. John M. O’Bannon, III, Chair, VWM Board
- The Hon. Bryce E. Reeves, Senate of Virginia
- The Hon. Frank D. Hargrove, Sr., Former Chair, VWM Board
- John L. Newby II, Commissioner, Virginia Dept. of Veterans Services
- RADM John G. Hekman, USN (Ret.), Virginia War Memorial Foundation
- Mr. Russell Scott, WWII veteran and former POW in Germany