Tickets are on sale now for the April 10th event.
The official press release;
TEDxRVA, an independently-organized TEDx event, announces the first line up of speakers for the third annual event at the Carpenter Theater at Center Stage on Friday, April 10. In keeping with the mission of the theme of UNCOMMON—To forge uncommon dialogue and interactions while highlighting uncommon communities in modern day RVA, TEDxRVA has succeeded in compiling a diverse roster of speakers in line with the theme.
The day-long event will bring together personalities and speakers from a range of fields and social backgrounds: a writer drawn to explore and preserve the unique culture of Virginia’s Tangier Island; two photographers exploring self-expression through unconventional portraiture; a scientist working to make humankind’s dreams of living on Mars a reality; an artist whose interest in place, history and economy have led to a varied body of work; an arts educator who is pushing the boundaries of performance education programs; a photographer for National Geographic who is sending willing adventurers into the wild to collect scientific data; and the CEO for an environmental foundation that is putting Virginia on the world map of international architectural sustainable design standards.
Scheduled speakers include:
- Tim Hickey – Founder and Principal of the Tangier Island Oyster Co.
- Gordon Stettinius and Terry Brown – Photographers
- Will Baker – President and CEO of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Joel Levine – PhD Planetary Scientist
- Emily Erb – Textile Artist
- Lucinda Scala Quinn—Editorial Director of Food & Entertaining for Martha Stewart Living Magazine
- Courtney Ferrell—Writer and Poet
- Erin Thomas Foley — Director of Education Outreach, SPARC Live Art
- Ryan Abrahamsen – Founder, Terrain 360
- Trip Jennings – Photographer, National Geographic Adventurer
- Brandon Farbstein – Diversity Advocate
- John McAdorey and Brig White – Advertising Creatives, Foo Fighters CrowdTilt Project
- Michael Bishop—PhD Ethnography and member of GWAR
More to be announced.
In addition to the incredible line-up of local and national speakers, as a part of creative programming, TEDxRVA will spotlight several uncommon Richmond-based pioneering enterprises which are unique to the world and are changing the way people see, hear, and learn. Attendees will experience GWAR, an artist collective thrash metal band that harnesses the connective power of performance; Light Tape, a product that illuminates new possibilities around the world; and Ravenchase Adventures, a type of game-play that reveals to us the multiple dimensions of our own intelligence. Throughout the day’s programming, attendees will have the opportunity to interact with and learn about each enterprise through both presented content and various engagement experiences, both in and out of the theater.
Apple Cart Company is coordinating food for the event by collaborating with several local independent businesses to customize a specially designed “Uncommon Nom Nom” menu for TEDxRVA attendees. Lunch is included in the ticket price.
Current Fiscal Sponsors include; Capital One, The Martin Agency, Sands Anderson, Unboxed Technologies, Connexions Loyalty, Marsteller Bradshaw Group of Wells Fargo Advisors, and Virginia Biotech Research Park. To find out about sponsorship opportunities please inquire at www.tedxrva.com/be-a-sponsor
Tickets are on sale now for the April 10 event at www.tedxrva.com/tickets.