April has been a historically violent month in Richmond, and this April is proving no different. There have been three murders so far and several life-threatening shootings. In response to some of these incidents the Richmond Police Department released the following statement.
April has been a historically violent month in Richmond, and this April is proving no different. There have been three murders so far and several life-threatening shootings.
In response to some of these incidents the Richmond Police Department released the following statement:
Richmond Police detectives have been working around the clock to gather information, track down suspects and make significant progress in several recent acts of violence in the city.
“We want the citizens of Richmond to know that these crimes aren’t random, and that investigators are making good progress in terms of identifying and finding the people responsible,” Major Crimes Major Steve Drew said.
“Members of the community can rest assured that we know who committed these crimes and are in the process of arresting and charging these individuals.”
Because all of these cases are ongoing, detectives can’t go into specifics, but can release the following information to inform the public:
- Regarding the April 5 homicide of Keona Johnson, 17, in the 3900 block of Old Brook Road, investigators have identified the people involved and they are in custody on unrelated charges. Investigators believe at least two people were involved and are not looking for anyone else.
- Regarding last night’s double shooting in the 3900 block of Chamberlayne Avenue, detectives believe this was an isolated incident and have identified all of the individuals involved. Charges are pending once detectives are able to speak with the victims who are still recovering at the hospital.
- Regarding the April 14 homicide of Aliza Allen, 48, in the 1900 block of Raven Street, detectives believe she was an innocent bystander who was tragically caught in the crossfire. Detectives are actively investigating the possibility that this murder is related to the shooting later that same day of three people at the Stop and Go Market in the 1600 block of Mechanicsville Turnpike.
- Regarding the Stop and Go Market shooting, detectives have obtained warrants and are looking for Alvin “Little Alvin” Antonio Anderson, 37, whose last known address was the 600 block of Pollock Street. His mugshot is attached to this release. Detectives are also searching for Rodney “Twan” A. Beard, 38, whose last known address was the 1100 block of North 33rd Street, as a person of interest in this case and as a robbery suspect in a separate incident. His mugshot is attached to this release.
- Regarding the April 9 homicide of Khalfaanii Hasaan Sultaan, 37, of Tampa, Florida, in the 1700 block of Chicago Avenue, investigators believe the motive for this crime was robbery and have developed some very strong leads in this case.
- Regarding yesterday’s shooting in the 700 block of Porter Street, the victim is currently fighting for his life at VCU Medical Center. Detectives have developed strong suspects in this case thanks to tremendous community support and evidence recovered at the scene.