At approximately 2:40 p.m. on March 7, officers responded to the 5000 block of Riverside Drive for a report of skeletal remains found in the woods between the roadway and the river.
Richmond Police detectives need the public’s help to identify skeletal remains found earlier this month along the James River.
At approximately 2:40 p.m. on March 7, officers responded to the 5000 block of Riverside Drive for a report of skeletal remains found in the woods between the roadway and the river. Several items of clothing were found near the remains.
The remains have been examined by an anthropologist at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. The examination indicates the remains have been in the area for an extended period of time. A biological profile for the remains has also been developed.
The individual is believed to have been a black male, age 33-49, standing 5’9” to 6’3” tall. He had several previously healed bone fractures on the leg, ribs and skull. These fractures may have caused him to walk with a limp and suffer hearing loss in the left ear. There was also extensive tooth loss believed to result from poor oral hygiene.
Photos below show examples of the items of clothing found near the remains. They include:
· A blue “Thermosoft” knit hat.
· A “Faded Glory” ¼ zip fleece coat size 2XL that was dark in color.
· A “Champions” football jersey size 2XL for the Minnesota Vikings with the #84 & MOSS on the jersey.
· A pair of “New Balance” men’s walking shoes size 12 that were white in color with green trim.
· A “Geneva” quartz wrist watch, with a black band. The watch had a distinct (24 hour) time piece and a 360 degree compass marking band.
Anyone who recalls an individual matching this description is asked to call Major Crimes Detective Victoria Griffith-Matko at (804) 646-3912 or Crime Stoppers at 780-1000. Citizens can also text Crime Stoppers at 274637 using the key word “ITip” followed by your tip or submit a tip online at www.7801000.com. All Crime Stoppers methods are anonymous.
RTD story that includes pictures of the items listed above.