Meeting on changes to East Main/Dock Street
The goal of the project is to provide a better transportation network in the rapidly developing east end area of the City and increase pedestrian and bicycle access to the City’s riverfront, public transit, public parking and streetscape.
From the Department of Public Works:
City residents and business owners will have an opportunity to view the proposed concept design for the East Main Street / Relocated Dock Street Project. The project will provide a better transportation network in the rapidly developing east end area of the City and increase pedestrian and bicycle access to the City’s riverfront, public transit, public parking and streetscape.
The public meeting will take place on Wednesday, March 23 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Powhatan Community Center (5051 Northampton Street).
The scope of the project includes:
- Relocating Dock Street from Pear Street to Peebles Street with a roundabout at the Main Street intersection;
- Widening East Main Street from the proposed roundabout to Gilles Creek to include parking, bike lanes, landscaping, and Bus Rapid Transit pullouts;
- Evaluate the Main Street and Nicholson Street intersection to determine if a traffic signal or roundabout is needed;
- Adding sidewalk and landscaping along Nicholson Street to the railroad bridge;
- Closure of Water Street between Nicholson and Ash streets.
Representatives from the Department of Public Works and the design firm of Whitman, Requardt & Associates, LLP will be available during this public meeting to answer questions. Attendees also will have an opportunity to fill out comment cards.
Report an error
Subscribe to our
There is 1 reader comment. Read it.