Rough week, here’s hoping things improve with the temperatures.
These temps are going to climb up to 50 °F today and possibly 60 °F tomorrow. And with that temp climbs your hope that this winter is not going to suck as much as last winter, because if it does, you might as well move to Vermont. Less punishing summers and an abundance of maple syrup and snowplows. Apparel translation: VCU Winter Sweatshirt.
Various things happened this week, I suppose, but I can’t stop thinking about “A Rape on Campus: A Brutal Assault and Struggle for Justice at UVA”. Every bit of it is disturbing, but this “Rugby Road” song makes me feel like for-real vomiting. People: assaulting women is not a joke! I know you keep hearing that, but it doesn’t seem to be sinking in. Maybe the young men of today are only influenced through the power of song? How about this, then:
Right under our nose we’ve got terrible bros
Who believe they’re entitled as males
To rape and control a young lady’s soul.
Here’s hoping they all rot in jails.
“Jails” is pretty weak, but it’s a work in progress. I would like nothing more than to write 40 verses about their evil pack mentality and the cowardly administration who looks the other way. If you’re an a cappella group looking for a great tune, email me.
Ferguson looks like an unsafe place to vacation right now, and the country bites its nails in preparation for next week, which will be remembered as “The Week It Was Hard to Love Our Fellow Humans.”
In more uplifting news, we had our very first RVANews Live event on Wednesday. There was merriment, there were Ukrops, there was so much inspiring and learning…I’m biased, BUT it truly felt like a smashing success. Stay tuned for more opportunities to success-smash with us at a later date.
Oh, and the Rams did some things. Victorious things. Almost obscenely victorious.
Reasons to stay in bed
- You can get sucked into my new favorite site, Kickended for a good 24 hours, just enough time for the weather to get a tad warmer.
- My favorite longread from Good Morning, RVA this week is worth a second read. Torey Burston, you are an inspiration and probably a gentleman.
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on Netflix.
Reasons to get up
- Chinese cinema comes to the Byrd on Sunday!
- Your family is coming/you’re going to your family in just a few days. It’s time to make preparations, preferably delicious ones. My very favorite vegetarian cookbook author, Heidi Swanson, posted a great guide to a healthier Thanksgiving experience.
- There are other things to do, so hop to it!
Photo by: bionicteaching