Good Morning, RVA: We survived the deluge
Now can we survive slightly chilly temperatures?
Photo by: spike55151
Good morning, RVA! It’s 54 °F, and gone is the liquid precipitation! Gone also are the gross and muggy conditions, replaced by cooler temperatures for the foreseeable future. Highs will settle into the 50s for the rest of the weekend.
Ned Oliver took the time to sit in on yesterday’s finance committee meeting where the topic of conversation was Resolution 2015-R65, which you may know as The Next Development On The Boulevard Resolution. Spoiler: it’s been continued until next month over concerns about enough time for public input. To be clear: this is planing to put together a plan to ask people for a plan for development on the Boulevard.
Amazon Prime Now has launched in Richmond, and whoadang I do not yet know what it means. It’s basically a courier service run by Amazon that guarantees one-hour delivery for $8 or free two-hour delivery for Amazon Prime members on orders over $20. They’ve got the typical Amazon stuff like VT jerseys for dogs, but also a ton of food items like frozen burritos and orange juice. You know when you run out of eggs, but don’t want to put on pants? Well, this thing exists now.
Here’s a small update on Roanoke’s mayor, who totally didn’t intended to offended anyone when he issued that press release musing about the Japanese internment camps of the 1940s. I keep thinking about this guy’s press secretary and if they had anything to do with the release before it got sent out. Nothing’s more dangerous to a city’s reputation than a mayor gone rogue!
Facebook announced new tools for folks who end a relationship with someone and change their status. Lots of silly headlines about this today, but seems like a smart and necessary change.
Tonight, if you’re not watching the VCU-Duke game, you can start Netflix’s Jessica Jones or Amazon’s The Man in the High Castle. So much content to consume, so few couches to wear a butt-shaped depression into!
- Rams head into a HUGE game against #4 Duke tonight at 7:00 PM. Is there hope for the young Rams? Maybe!
- #16 Spiders and #7 William and Mary finish out the regular season in Robins Stadium at 12:00 PM on CSN.
- Spiders (roundball) and Bethune-Cookman tip off at 6:00 PM on Saturday.
- 7th-seeded Virginia Union and 2nd-seeded Slippery Rock match up in the first round of the Division II playoffs Saturday at 12:00 PM.
- Hokies will face the 12th-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels in Coach Beamer’s final home game at 12:00 PM on Saturday.
- Hokies (roundball) take on VMI Saturday at 7:00 PM on ESPN3.
- Wahoos host Duke in the penultimate game of the 2015 season (and maybe of the Mike London era).
- Wahoos (roundball) dispatched Bradley, 82-57. They’ll face Long Beach State tonight at 9:30 PM on ESPNU and a yet-to-be-determined opponent as they continue working their way through the Charleston Classic.
- Washington heads to Charlotte to take on the undefeated Panthers on Sunday at 1:00 PM on FOX.
This morning’s longread
This Is Gonna Be Harder Than I Thought
Mark Bittman, whom I love, on moving from writer to start up bro.
I did know I was ready for a change. After 20 years of weekly deadlines, including the last five as a New York Times Opinion columnist, I was tired. I felt I was repeating myself (“industrial agriculture is poisoning our health and the planet,” written ad infinitum in myriad ways). I was frustrated by my inability to convince people to act, and eager to accomplish some new things myself. It was time to work on changing the food system from within.
This morning’s Instagram
Sublime #RVA #purple #sunset over #jamesriver #Richmond #Virginia #nofilter #visitrichmond @visitrichmondva #rvanews @rvanews #loveva @visitvirginia @instafreiden #igersrva #igvirginia #ig_virginia #richmondgrid #sunset_specialist #sunset_madness #sunset_united #sunsethunter #vaoutdoors #va #virginiacities @virginiacities #VisitVirginia #RichmondOutside
— ∮∮∮ —
Want to automagically get Good Morning, RVA in your inbox every morning? Sign up below!
Report an error
Subscribe to our
There are no reader comments. Add yours.