Is there a grosser looking animal than a turkey? Asking for a friend.
Photo by: Alan Vernon.
Good morning, RVA! It’s 33 °F, and that’s cold! Today the sun will shine and warm things up a bit, but you should only expect highs in the mid-40s. I’d say Winter is Coming™, but later this week temperatures could shoot back up into the mid-60s. Winter is Coming Eventually, I Guess™.
Well, it is officially Thanksgiving week. This probably means several things for you and your family: Maybe a short work week, probably a ton of carbohydrates, definitely six million loads of dishes. The former two thing sound great, but if you want to avoid the latter, head to one of the local restaurants that will host T-Day dinner.
Ned Oliver got access to some early data on the financial impact of the Big Bike Race™. Sales tax receipts were up 5.32 percent over last year, restaurant sales stayed basically the same, and hotel occupancy was down 7.2 percent. Not a “financial home run,” says a VCU economist. Prepare yourself for the half dozen editorials about how the race was a failure and how Richmond is stuck in a 6th Street Marketplace Groundhogs Day for ever and ever. More data should be available mid-December.
If you haven’t had a chance to look at these drone’s-eye photos of RVA in the fall, you’ll definitely want to do so before winter moves in for good. Or maybe save the link for an especially dreary day over the next couple of months!
Democrat John Bel Edwards defeated Republican David Vitter in the Louisiana gubernatorial election. People have thoughts on this.
Here’s Today’s Gross Picture of a Turkey. Why do they look like that!
- Rams lost two close games to Duke and Wisconsin over the weekend.
- Spiders beat William & Mary, 20-9, and may face them again in first round of the FCS playoffs on December 5th.
- Virginia Union lost in the first round of the Div II playoffs to Slippery Rock, 21-40.
- Spiders (roundball) handled Bethune-Cookman, 89-64.
- Hokies lost Frank Beamer’s final home game, 27-30, in overtime to #11 UNC.
- Hokies (roundball) looked dominant against VMI in a 76-52 win.
- Wahoos put together a win against Duke, 42-34.
- #6 Wahoos (roundball) took down George Mason, 83-66.
- Carolina dominated Washington to the tune of 16-44.
This morning’s longread
Between July 2011 and August 2015 I lived in a ~400sqft studio apartment in San Francisco. I moved in a bachelor but by the time I moved out, I was one member of a four person family. Here are some things I learned along the way.
This morning’s Instagram
— ∮∮∮ —
Want to automagically get Good Morning, RVA in your inbox every morning? Sign up below!