All this pollen! All these allergies! Gah!
Photo by: alastairvance
Good morning, RVA! It’s 52 °F, and today’s got a bit of everything: highs in the mid-70s, sunshine, clouds, gusty winds, pollen like whoa, and perhaps even a spot of rain. I’m not really sure how you dress for a day like today. Wear all of your clothes? Wear none of them?
Hey, hey, it’s Earth Day! It seems crazy we have just the one day each year to celebrate the only inhabitable planet (that we’re aware of) in the entire galaxy. We also have one day to celebrate doughnuts–human priorities, man! Anyway, if you need some inspiration for how best pay tribute to Mother Earth, take a look back through this past month’s Earth Day Guide.
Here’s a thing you need to read today: Graham Moomaw digs into City Council’s proposed amendments to the Mayor’s 2016 & 2017 FY budget. Seven members of Council have proposed increased funding to Richmond Public Schools over what’s in the Mayor’s budget! The amounts range from $20 million (Councilman Samuels) to $4 million (Councilwoman Robertson), but it seems like we’re slowly getting on the same page here. PDF’s of the proposed amendments from each councilperson are included at the bottom of the piece.
Ned Oliver reporting for Style Weekly, has a bit about some Councilfolk musings on a tax for Airbnb rentals. Apparently, as it stands now, if you want to Airbnb your home you need to apply for a permit with the city–FYI rule followers who hope to peace out during The Big Bike Race™.
After reading this Bart Hinkle editorial in the RTD about “the diversity dilemma” I feel weird and uncomfortable.
Tomorrow morning, before dawn, you might could look northeast and see the Lyrid meteor shower. You also might have gotten up extra early for nothing, meteor showers are fickle creatures.
- Squirrels lost to Bowie 4-10, yikes! Richmond is now in the midst of six-game slide.
- Nats clipped the Cardinals, 2-1. They improve to 7-7 and have won five of their last six. Game two of the series begins tonight at 7:05 PM.
- It took overtime, but the Caps evened up the playoff series with the Islanders last night. The series continues tomorrow in Washington.
What to expect
Today on RVANews, read about:
- Some things to do with your family
- A musical celebration of trees
- How to continue feeling your Earth Day vibes long after Earth Day ends
- A reminder to vote for your fave Richmond startup.
This morning’s longread
A longread about race in comic form!
This morning’s Instagram
— ∮∮∮ —
Want to automagically get Good Morning, RVA in your inbox every morning? Sign up below!