A new week, a new chance to accomplish something awesome.
Good morning, RVA! It’s 43 °F, which brrrrrr. But today’s bountiful sunshine should have things warmed up to the mid-60s by this afternoon.
It’s a busy, busy day at the Planning Commission today, who meets at 1:30 PM. On the agenda are a couple things we’ve talked about before: final approval of the BRT and the Chamberlayne/VUU Neighborhood Plan. Withdrawn from the agenda were these plans for the Kanawha Plaza (PDF) that include a stage with a giant RVA as a backdrop–like as a permanent part of the structure.
Tina Griego from Richmond Magazine interviewed Jesse Vaughan about his new documentary called Heroin: The Hardest Hit. We spoke with Jesse back in February about his work with food deserts, and became enamored with him pretty much instantly.
Meg Ryan was at the Byrd for a hot second this past weekend, screening her new film Ithaca which was shot in and around Richmond over the past couple of years.
You know how I love presidential debates, so you can probably guess how bummed I am that I totally missed the Democratic debate this past Saturday. I feel like I’ve let America down. I’ll do better, America, I promise!
The New York Times is running a live blog about the attacks in Paris that you should probably just leave open in a tab today.
- Virginia Union will head to the NCAA Division II playoffs for the first time in 24 years.
- Rams won the first regular season game of the Will Wade era against Prairie View on Friday, 75-50. They’ll host Radford tonight at 7:00 PM.
- Spiders picked up their second loss in a row in a 20-21 heartbreaker to Villanova.
- Spiders (roundball) dropped a game against JMU on Friday, but beat Stetson at home on Sunday.
- Hokies (roundball) lost by three to Alabama State.
- Wahoos fell to Louisville, 31-38, officially squashing their hopes for a bowl game.
- Wahoos (roundball) handled Morgan State, 86-48. They’ll head up the road a piece to take on George Washington tonight at 7:30 PM.
- Washington went on an offensive tear and beat the Saints 47-14.
This morning’s longread
For all the attention paid to ISIS, relatively little is known about its inner workings. But a man claiming to be a member of the so-called Islamic State’s security services has stepped forward to provide that inside view. This series is based on days of interviews with this ISIS spy.
This morning’s Instagram
— ∮∮∮ —
Want to automagically get Good Morning, RVA in your inbox every morning? Sign up below!