Do people still say “on fleek?” If so, I think that would describe this Friday.
Photo by: pledford1965
Good morning, RVA! It’s 58 °F, and today’s the definition of temperate: highs around 72 °F, no chance of rain, and a wonderfully clear sky. Things may cloud up a bit on Saturday, and there might be a bit of rain on Sunday–although the chances for the latter have decreased over the last couple of days.
Caution! This Michael Paul Williams editorial about the turnover in the mayor’s turnaround team has an extremely high zinger-to-paragraph ratio. If you’re allergic to sick burns, please avoid this editorial.
Ned Oliver reports on the results of last night’s GRTC bus barn meeting, which was basically folks demanding more parking. The first comment on this RVANews piece nails my feelings on the matter, although it does so with a classic “too harsh and annonymous comment on the internet” tone. Infinite parking is not a right granted from on high to city residents, and the developers are going above what the zoning of the property requires–as one of them testily reminded the crowd.
I want you to go read this piece by Stephanie Ganz about Stroops, the soon-to-be hot dog place that’s owned by the dudes from Dutch & Company. Now let’s sit quietly while we all picture that RVA Dog. Shhhhh…it’s my moment of zen.
Here’s Vox’s long roundup of yesterday’s even longer Benghazi committee hearing (that was 11 hours long). I didn’t realize Clinton needed to prove “she has the energy” to be president. Does Bernie Sanders (74) or Donald Trump (69)? Anyway, the NYT has a 3-minute highlight reel if you’re interested and don’t want to spend an entire day catching up.
Did you know there’s a Good a Evening, RVA? It’s true! Each and every evening we send out a handcrafted email digest of the stories that ran on RVANews that day. If you like Good Morning, RVA there’s a greater than 35% chance you’ll also like Good Evening, RVA (which I always say like I’m Vincent Price–Good Eeeeeeeevening, RVA). Check out yesterday’s edition here, and you can subscribe down at the bottom if you so choose.
- College GameDay heads to Harrisonburg for the JMU–Richmond matchup! This guide from the JMU athletic department is amazing (“you can sleep on Sunday”). Coverage starts at 9:00 AM on ESPN and kickoff is at 3:30 PM on CSN.
- Saturday at the Siegel Center, VCU will host their FREE annual Black & Gold scrimmage at 3:00 PM, which will be followed by an alumni game at 5:30 PM. See all the old dudes, including Larry Sanders who may or may not play in th NBA this year.
- Hokies host Duke at 3:30 PM on ESPNU.
- Wahoos head south to take on the Tar Heels also at 3:30 PM, this one’s on ESPN3.
- Washington tries to avoid dropping to 2-5 on Sunday against Tampa Bay at 1:00 PM.
- D.C. United travel to Columbus to face the Columbus Crew SC on Sunday at 5:00 PM.
This morning’s longread
The art in this piece, done by Glen Brown who has schizophrenia, is fascinating.
There’s a miraculous new treatment for schizophrenia that could transform the way we treat mental illness. And then there are the terrible reasons why most medical professionals have never heard of it.
This morning’s Instagram
— ∮∮∮ —
Want to automagically get Good Morning, RVA in your inbox every morning? Sign up below!