Take today to cool off, cool down, and prepare for the weekend.
Good morning, RVA! It’s 72 °F and so it will stay for the rest of the day. These cooler temperatures will continue through the weekend and probably through the rest of the year. Deal with it. Also, keep an eye on the sky for a chance of showers this afternoon and tomorrow.
After the short-lived hubbub about possible enterovirus cases in town, the lab results testing for the disease have come back inconclusive. St. Mary’s hospital will continue working with the CDC to figure out the scene, and, in the meantime, all of the children admitted with acute repertory illness have been sent home.
The Richmond Comic Con begins today at 3:00 PM. Head down to the convention center and immerse yourself in what was once nerd culture and is now popular culture (if you disagree, just look at the list of all-time top-grossing movies). You can read a little more about the Con here.
Style Weekly has a great review of Inner City Blues, Gilpin Court’s soul food restaurant. You had me at balogna burger!
- Squirrels face elimination tonight at 7:05 PM against evil Binghamton.
- Kickers take on Charleston Battery tomorrow night at City Stadium in the first round of the USL PRO playoffs. Doors open at 5:30 PM and tickets are available online.
- Nats overmatched the Mets, 6-2, and the series continues tonight at 7:10 PM.
- Hokies face the deceptively dangerous Pirates of ECU at 12:00 PM on ESPN.
- Wahoos host the #21 Louisville Cardinals at 12:30 PM on ESPN3.
This morning’s longread
I can imagine that for people of color life in a white-majority context feels a bit like being on a bicycle in midst of traffic. They have the right to be on the road, and laws on the books to make it equitable, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are on a bike in a world made for cars. Experiencing this when I’m on my bike in traffic has helped me to understand what privilege talk is really about.
Photo by: bartholmy
This morning’s Instagram
— ∮∮∮ —
Want to automagically get Good Morning, RVA in your inbox every morning? Sign up below!