Today, the dream of the 90s is alive in Richmond!
Good morning, RVA! It’s 72 °F, and it’s another one of those classic Richmond summer days: hot, humid, and a chance of scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Bring the umbrella with you, but if you time things right you may not need to use it.
First, a correction: yesterday I said Richmond police were investigating a fatal shooting on the city’s Southside as a homicide. That was incorrect. Yesterday’s double shooting, which left one victim dead, is currently a “death investigation.”
This morning, however, Richmond police are reporting a homicide on the 5800 block of Orcutt Lane last night around 11:00 PM–just a couple of blocks away from yesterday’s fatal shooting. This would be Richmond’s 21st homicide in 2014.
Tonight, Innsbrook hosts just about every single band I cared about for a six-month period in the 90s, no big deal. Everclear, Soul Asylum, Eve 6, and Spacehog all for just $15! Put my tender heart in a blender, y’all!
Headline of the day: Does pie-making give you the frights? Bake fruit bars. I want to make fun of this recipe, but its breezy tone has me filing it away in Evernote for future use!
- Squirrels blank Harrisburg, 2-0. They’ve got a 12:05 PM game today if you’re looking for a reason to play hookey.
- Nats boil Brewers, 4-2. They’ll rematch today at 2:10 PM (another great opportunity to ditch out on work).
- Wahoos force game three of the College World Series with a 7-2 win over Vandy. Winner takes all tonight at 8:00 PM. Wahoowa!
Here’s a .gif of Uruguayan star Luis Suarez biting another human while playing soccer. He’s been banned from the sport twice before for biting players! What the heck!
Four games to watch today:
- Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Iran, 12:00 PM, ESPN2
- Nigeria vs. Argentina, 12:00 PM, ESPN
- Ecuador vs. France, 4:00 PM, ESPN
- Honduras vs. Switzerland, 4:00 PM, ESPN2
This morning’s longread
As the ranks of coffee nerds, perfectionist, and snobs swell and the number of coffee brewing gizmos and gadgets multiplies, some words of sanity on brewing the perfect cup.
A figure skater pushing just 1% harder, a runway model with just a bit more flourish in her walk, or the chef hitting just the right balance between contrasting flavors… All can deliver outsized returns of awe and beauty.
Coffee brewing is not this kind of an art.
Photo by: 1eyephotography
This morning’s Instagram
— ∮∮∮ —
Want to automagically get Good Morning, RVA in your inbox every morning? Sign up below!