The first real day of 2015 is a Friday. You’re alright, 2015, you’re alright.
Photo by: Ava Reaves Images
Good morning, RVA! It’s 41 °F, the first weekend of 2015 is upon us, and Sunday’s high is 72 °F. Don’t get too excited, though, because clouds and rain fill the forecast over the next couple of days.
Ahead of City Council’s meeting next week (when its members select a new president and vice president), you gotta read this Michael Paul Williams editorial. It’s looking like relative newcomer Councilwoman Mosby will end up with the votes to take the top spot–the first black woman ever to do so.
New Year’s Eve 2014: the day that will forever be remembered as the day GWARbar opened and humanity’s reign on earth came to an end. There’s fake blood splattered on the floor by the bar, so I think Oderus Urungus would have been pleased.
I can’t not link to this article in the RTD about Doug Brooks, one of my favorite Rams.
- Caps downed the Blackhawks, 3-2, in the Winter Classic, which took place in Nationals Park despite some serious glare.
- Hokies open their ACC schedule tomorrow at 12:00 PM against Syracuse. Buckle up Hokie fans, it’s gonna be a long couple of months.
- Spiders travel to Davidson to take on the Wildcats tomorrow at 5:00 PM.
- #3 Wahoos look to stay undefeated against the Hurricanes tomorrow at 5:00 PM.
- Rams head to New York and face Fordham on Sunday at 1:00 PM in their first A-10 game of the season.
This morning’s longread
I can truthfully say that this 1956 interview with Dorothy Parker is the best thing I’ve read in 2015.
The people who lived and wrote well in the twenties were comfortable and easy living. They were able to find stories and novels, and good ones, in conflicts that came out of two million dollars a year, not a garret. As for me, I’d like to have money. And I’d like to be a good writer. These two can come together, and I hope they will, but if that’s too adorable, I’d rather have money. I hate almost all rich people, but I think I’d be darling at it.
This morning’s Instagram
— ∮∮∮ —
Want to automagically get Good Morning, RVA in your inbox every morning? Sign up below!