The Monument 10k happens tomorrow! We have all the info that you need to be prepared: the race schedule, band listing, waves, and PARKING!
Over 40,000 runners and spectators are expected to crowd into the Fan to take part in the 12th annual Monument 10k. Below we have all the necessary information that you need to know, from the schedule, band listing, waves, to the most important thing of all…PARKING!!
— ∮∮∮ —
Race day schedule
- 6:45am – 9:45am • Dress Up & Run contest check-in at Monroe Park
- 7:30am • Blessing of the Runners at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart
- 7:30am – 1pm • Bag Check available in Monroe Park
- 8:00am • Virginia 529 Kids Run starts on Cathedral Place near Laurel Street
- 8:30am • Monument 10k START — in waves at Broad & Harrison streets
- 9:45am • Awards Ceremony
— ∮∮∮ —
For race goers, it’s recommended that you carpool into the city, as parking will be tough to come by. The Arthur Ashe Center has 2,000 FREE parking spaces located in the surface lot outside the building.
Make sure you AVOID the Belvidere exits off I-95 and I-195. All motorists should use I-95 & I-195 AROUND the city.
For you city dwellers, the No Parking & Street Closures are as follows:
View Monument Avenue 10k Road Closures in a larger map
Friday, March 30th
- 3 p.m. • NO PARKING goes into effect on Franklin Street from Shafer to Belvidere
- 3 p.m. • NO PARKING goes into effect on Broad Street (Belvidere to Lombardy)
- 4 p.m. • TOWING goes into effect on Franklin between Laurel and Belvidere
- 5 p.m. • Franklin St. – CLOSED between Laurel & Belvidere through 3 p.m. Saturday
Saturday, March 31st
- 4 a.m. – 12 p.m. • Broad Street – CLOSED from Lombardy east to Belvidere
- 4 a.m. – 2 p.m. • Kent – CLOSED from Wythe to Monument Avenue
- 4 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. • West Franklin Street – CLOSED from Laurel to Stuart Circle
- 4 a.m. – 3 p.m. • North Laurel Street – CLOSED from Main St. to Broad Street
- 4 a.m. – 3 p.m. • Cathedral Place CLOSED from Laurel to Shafer Ct.
- 4 a.m. – 2 p.m. • Harrison – CLOSED from Park to Marshall
- 5 a.m. – 1 p.m. • Chantilly – CLOSED from Monumental to Monument
- 5 a.m. – 3 p.m. • Canal St. – CLOSED from Belvidere to 2nd St.
- 6 a.m. – 9 a.m. • Park Avenue – CLOSED from Shafer to Lombardy
- 6 a.m. – 3 p.m. • Exit ramp from Westbound I-195 to Belvidere – CLOSED
- 7 a.m. – 9 a.m. • Hanover – CLOSED from Plum to Lombardy
- 7 a.m.- 12 a.m. • Grace Street – CLOSED from Belvidere to Allen
- 7 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. • Lombardy Street – CLOSED from Broad Street to Hanover Avenue
- 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. • Monument Ave- CLOSED from Staples Mill Road to Stuart Circle
- 7 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. • Franklin St. – CLOSED Lombardy to Harrison
- 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. • Boulevard – CLOSED at Monument Avenue
— ∮∮∮ —
Here is the Race Day procedure:
- Pin your bib to the front of your shirt, where it’s most visible. You must wear your bib to be admitted into the start corral.
- Report to the Start on Broad St. – waves will extend from the Start Line (at Harrison) all the way back towards Belvidere St.
- Find the volunteer holding the sign with the letter corresponding to prefix on your bib.
E.g. If your bib number is B1244, then look for the “Wave B” sign.
- The volunteer will walk your group into the start corral as your start time approaches.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Listen to all pre-race instructions. They’ll guide you through the course AND keep you safe.
- Pin your race number on the front of your shirt, where it’s visible to officials and photographers.
- Get credit for your race – B-tags (timing devices) remain on your bib, so take good care of it and wear it on your lower abdomen.
On the Course
- Run or walk no more than two abreast. If you are walking in a group, stay in the back of the pack and leave room for others to pass on your left when possible.
- Aid stations
**Move to the side of the road to grab water from a volunteer, and keep moving.
**If you want to stop: grab a drink, move BEYOND the station, and stop on the SIDE of the road away from the other runners.
**Use a trash receptacle when possible. If there are none available, drop it on the road NEAR the station.
- Remember, there are 40,000+ people around you! If you need to stop, move to the side of the road to:
**Spit, throw up, etc.
**Tie your shoe
**Use the rest room – in a port-a-john please! Do NOT expect the friendly neighbors to let you in their home.
*Feel free to shout words of encouragement to others around you!
*Be ALERT and expect the unexpected. Think loose dogs, lost kids, low branches, and looming potholes.
*Non-registered friends and relatives are NOT permitted to run with you in a race. They can cheer you on from the side of the road.
Finish Line/Post Race
- Don’t stop suddenly at the finish – you will cause a collision with those behind you. Keep moving through the finish chute and exit into Monroe Park.
- Enjoy the post-race refreshments, but don’t be a piggy! Remember, the last finishers need refreshments, too. This food is for participants ONLY – not friends and family.
There will be no shortage of bands playing during this year’s race. Here’s a list of the bands that will be playing and where you can find them:
- Start Area – Broad St. & Gilmer St. • Glennroy & Company • Jazz/R&B)
- 1219 W. Broad St. • Between the Covers • Rock & Roll
- Broad St. & Lombardy St. • MJ Impressions • Michael Jackson Tribute Artists
- Lombardy St. & Grace St. • The Luckies • Indie/Alternative
- Stuart Circle • SIX • Six Decades of Music
- Robert E. Lee Monument • Richmond Rock Exchange • Classic Rock
- Monument Ave. & N. Meadow St. • Bruiser • Classic Rock
- Monument Ave. & N. Allison St. • Eye Candy • Rock/Pop
- Monument Ave. & Strawberry St. • Solpocket • Funk/Jazz/Groove
- Jefferson Davis Monument • The Stray Dog Band • Original Rock & Roll
- Monument Ave. & Mulberry St. • Joshua Wake • Alternative
- Monument Ave. & N. Colonial Ave. • Car Seat Headrest • Indie Rock
- Monument Ave. & Sheppard St. • Mike Lucci Band • Chicago Style Blues
- Matthew Fontaine Maury Monument • Da Twins Nell & Nique • Inspirational
- Monument Ave. & Cleveland St. • Nat King Kong • Classic Rock
- Monument Ave. & Tilden St. • The C. Dawgy Dawg All Stars • Rock
- Arthur Ashe Monument • All In • Rock/Blues/Funk
- Monument Ave. & N. Thompson St. • Immanuel Band and Friends • Acoustic rock/gospel/folk
- Monument Ave. & Lafayette St. • Curbside Collective • Pop/Rock
- Monument Ave. & Antrim Ave. • The Camping Party DJ • Jammin’ Oldies
- Monument Ave. & Sauer Ave. • Deep Fried Mojo • Rock
- Monument Ave. & Shenandoah St. • AndiBand • Pop/Rock
- Monument Ave. & Commonwealth Ave. • Betsy Lynne & The Boys • Folk/Pop
- Monument Ave. & Westmoreland St. • Salted Dawg Blues • Blues/Rock
- Monument Ave. & Chantilly St. • DJ Lloyd T • DJ
- Monument Ave. & Malvern Ave. • 3rd Wave • Surf Instrumentals
- Monument Ave. & Boulevard • John Ivins Worship Band • Christian Rock
- 1222 W. Franklin St. • JEB Stuart Old Time Front Porch Band • Old time music with