The Byrd Theatre and WRIR are up for $250k and $50k grants (respectively) from the Pepsi Refresh Project. Be sure to offer your support for these wonderful fixtures on the Richmond scene!
- Replace the heavily worn seats & improve handicap accessibility
- Refurbish the Mighty Wurlitzer theatre organ
- Repair and clean the extensive plaster damage
- Establish a sustainable fundraising campaign
To support the Byrd’s efforts, stop by their listing on the Pepsi Refresh Project website, check out more info, watch their promo video, and vote. At press time, they were already at number 43 — the top two projects will receive funding. You can also vote from your phone by texting 102639 to Pepsi (73774).
Meanwhile, WRIR has also been busy putting together a push to receive funding from this same project, but they’re going after the $50k prize. They plan to use that funding to:
- Renovate a 1920’s brownstone into a modern recording studio
- Use the new studio to produce radio programs of independent views
- Train volunteers in radio production and news gathering
- Equip a studio for broadcasting 24/7
The top 10 projects in the $50k category will receive funding. WRIR is currently at number 209, so be sure to go offer your support or vote by texting 102304 to Pepsi (73774).
Voting closes September 30.
Best of luck to both — such wonderful and important fixtures on the Richmond scene.