Ukrop’s days are numbered, and our bargain-hunter has tracked down some steals on their clearance items. See what she scored along with other great deals around town this week.
The Final Countdown (dun-Dun-DUN)
Ukrop’s days are numbered, single-digit numbers in the case of the Short Pump location at which I shopped yesterday. It’s part the first wave of 4 stores scheduled to close at 6pm this Saturday for a week-long transition to MARTIN’S. Inside, change was already beginning, as evidenced by aisles teeming with staff taking inventory and re-arranging.
Doing my best to avoid hit-and-running my race car shopping cart into the employees stationed every two feet, I browsed the aisles looking for clearance deals (as much as browsing is possible with a two-year-old in the cart and a Dum-Dum lollipop as my secret weapon). Not surprisingly, the best prices were on Ukrop’s brand items: Food Club, Full Circle, Top Care, and Joe’s Market. There were also scattered brand name items marked down that MARTIN’S must not carry.
While I didn’t see a clear-cut system for spotting clearanced products, I observed that many were tagged with larger-than-standard yellow or orange tags that said “THIS STORE ONLY” under the price. Some price tags were hand-written instead of computer printed.
Here are some of the deals I found:
- American Greetings cards 50% off (try to combine with circular coupon for $2 off a 3 card purchase)
- Top Care diapers $2.99/pack (reg. $7.99-$8.99)
- Food Club pleated sandwich bags 150-ct $.25 (reg. $1.67)
- Food Club 4-ct toilet paper $.50 (reg. $1.99)
- Food Club aluminum foil, plastic wrap, and wax paper 50% off
- Full Circle non-clorine bleach $.99 (reg. $2.99)
- Joe’s Market 4-pk limeade $3.29 (reg. $6.59)
- Top Care memory insole $1.97 (reg $7.89)
- Top Care nasal strips $.87 (reg. $3.49)
- Top Care antacid/acid reducer 50-ct tablets $3.74 (reg. $14.99)
- Yoga DVD’s 75% off
- Hoover vacuum bags 75% off
- Red Mill organic flaxseed meal $4.50 (reg $8.99)
- Wesson 48-oz vegetable oil $2.00 (reg. $4.29)
- Kraft barbecue sauce $.50
Let me know what you’ve scored!
*While stocking up on Ukrop’s deals, remember to use the circular coupon for $.30 in bonus fuelperks rewards when you spend $50*
Meat Top Pick
Ham is standard Easter fare with my folks – Cumberland Gap whole semi-boneless ham $.99/lb at Kroger (limit 1) and Sugardale spiral sliced half ham $1.68/lb at Ukrop’s
(Also, Ukrop’s frozen turkeys 16 lbs+ are $.48/lb while supplies last)
Veggie Top Pick
Asparagus $1.99/lb at Whole Foods, Ukrop’s, and Kroger
(Also, Birds Eye Steamfresh frozen vegetables are $1 at Kroger, free after $.50 coupon from 3/14 SmartSource)
Fruit Top Pick
Whole pineapple $1.99 at Kroger
Dairy Top Pick
Breakstone’s 16-oz sour cream $.99 at Ukrop’s. Use $.55 coupon from 3/21 Smart Source or $.60 printable online to get it for free (today only) or $.44-$.39 other days.
Staples Top Pick
$4 off when you buy 4 participating Post cereals and Quaker granola bars at Kroger – final price $1.39 each. Use coupons: $.75 off 2 Quaker granola bars 2/14 Red Plum, $.75 off Quaker True Delights granola bars 2/14 Red Plum, $1 off 2 Post cereals 2/28 SmartSource, $1 off 2 Honey Bunches of Oats 3/14 SmartSource
(Also Food Club canned olives $.50 at Ukrop’s!)
Snacks & Sweets Top Pick
Stouffer’s Family Size frozen entrees $3.99 at Kroger. If you get Good Housekeeping or All You magazines, there were $1 off coupons in the April issues.
Beverage Top Pick
Crystal Light and Crystal Light on the Go $2.50 at Ukrop’s. Combine with $1 off coupon from 3/21 SmartSource.
Household Top Pick
Band-aid bandages 30-60 ct $.99 at Ukrop’s. Use $.50 coupon from 3/14 RedPlum, which doubles to make them free today only or $.50 during the rest of the week.
Find more deals by accessing the stores’ weekly ads online:
- Prices valid 3/28-4/3: Kroger, Ukrop’s, Target, Walgreen’s, CVS
- Prices valid 3/31-4/6: Tom Leonard’s, Whole Foods, Fresh Market
Monthly ads online: