Here’s a rundown of farms and venues with pumpkins, hayrides, and plenty of autumn fun.
Pumpkins! We love them in our lattes, pies, and on our doorsteps! Local spots around the region are selling the sinuous squash1 and providing a bevy of fun entertainment during the process. Here’s a list of local farms and venues to check out. All pumpkin patches run through October 31st.
— ∮∮∮ —
Take a tractor out to the field and hand pick a pumpkin. When you’re finished, check out the Boo House, hay maze, and tractor rides. There’s a doughnut shop on weekends too!
- Location: 12607 Old Ridge Road in Hanover
- Time: Weekdays 1:00 – 6:00 PM; Weekends 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Cost: Pumpkins run $3 to $20. All you can carry for $20.
- Contact: 804.227.3601
Get all of your fall accoutrements: pumpkins, straw bales, mums, kales, pansies, and evergreens. Swing by on a weekend for hayrides.
- Location: 11374 Ashcake Road in Ashland
- Time: Weekdays 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM; Saturday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM; Sunday 12:00 to 5:00 PM
- Cost: Pumpkins are $0.45/lbs. All you can carry for $20
- Contact: 804.798.2280
Peruse the pumpkin patch after you take a hayride, master the corn maze, and take a tour of a working horse farm.
- Location: 12204 Pinhook Road in Rockville
- Time: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday until dark
- Cost: $30 for as many pumpkins as you can carry
- Contact: 804.387.0068
Take a free tractor ride out to the pumpkin patch. Plenty of kids activities too: train rides, hay-bale maze, face painting, and moon bounce.
- Location: 2100 Ruffin Mill Road in South Chesterfield
- Time: Thursday and Friday 2:00 – 6:00 PM; Saturday and Sunday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Cost: Pumpkins are $0.59/lbs., maximum price $40 for one pumpkin
- Contact: 804.526.4000
There are so many things to do here! Pig races, animal corral, goat walk, Bunnyville, Sand Mountain, Dino Dig, honeybee barn, and more! And they’re all FREE.
- Location: 26002 Pear Orchard Road in Moseley
- Time: Monday through Friday 2:00 – 5:30 PM; Saturday and Sunday 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Cost: Pumpkins are $0.39/lbs.
- Contact: 804.739.2404
They boast an “on the farm” family experience with spooky house tours, straw-bale maze, hayrides, and a plethora of pumpkins.
- Location: 4506 Millers Lane
- Time: Daily 8:00 AM – Dusk
- Cost: Jack-o-lanterns are $0.64/lbs.; regular pumpkins are $0.59/lbs.; and specialty pumpkins are $0.49/lbs.
- Contact: 804.222.2285
Plenty of locally grown pumpkins to be had, along with gourds, squash, straw bales, and corn stalks. There’s also a free movie every Friday at 7:00 PM.
- Location: 4150 Brookriver Drive in Glen Allen
- Time: Daily 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Cost: Pumpkins run $2.50 – $8.00
- Contact: 804.364.5800
— ∮∮∮ —
- Cucurbita pepo, a plant of the genus Cucurbita, to be more precise (I totally did NOT look that up on Wikipedia). ↩
photo by Maggie McCain