Now go forth and do these things!
1. Go to a public meeting
Is there a better way to spend your Thursday night than shuttling back and forth between public meetings? If there is, I certainly cannot think of it. Tonight you can learn about the plans for both the Lumpkin’s Jail Site and high-speed rail from Richmond to DC. The past and the future! All in one night!
- Thursday, December 10th • 5:00 – 7:30 PM
- DMV • 2300 W. Broad Street
- Thursday, December 10th • 6:00 – 8:00 PM
- Jepson Alumni Center • 49 Crenshaw Way
Don’t tell anyone in my family or office this, but: I’ve never seen The Nutcracker. How many times have I nodded knowingly about the Sugar Plum Prince and his ferret army? I’ve feigned so much interest in the giant crystal goose that rolls about granting wishes. I couldn’t even tell you whether the eponymous nutcrackers prefer pecans or walnuts! This is my secret shame.
- One million different times beginning December 11th at 7:00 PM and lasting through December 23rd at 2:00 PM
- Carpenter Theatre • 600 E. Grace Street
- $20 – $125
3. Beer Craft Market & Rum Dark Rye release
A chance to buy locally-made, beer-centric crafts and locally-made, beer-centric beer? It truly is the most wonderful time of the year! Before you blow all your cash on beer, make sure you stop by and check out our very own Richard Hayes’s sweet beer openers. This one in particular would look very nice next to my keggerator.
- Saturday, December 12th • 1:00 – 6:00 PM
- Ardent Craft Ales • 3200 W. Leigh Street
- Free! But bring some bucks to buy some stuff.
Take home bags filled with the works of 30 local authors and growlers filled with the works of however many brewers Hardywood employs. The event page ends with this charge: “GET LIT!”, which is reason enough to go, in my opinion.
- Sunday, December 13th • 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery • 2408 Ownby Lane
- Free but stuff costs money, etc.
5. Do a holiday thing
OK, OK, we are so deep into the holiday season that it’s hard to see a way out. You might as well just accept that each of your next three weekends will contain an allotment of holiday cheer. You can temper this with egg nog, I’ve got a great recipe. Rather than pick just one holiday-themed way to spend your time, here’s a in-no-way-comprehensive bulleted list:
- Christmas on MacArthur • December 12th, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- James River Parade of Lights • December 12th, 6:00 – 9:00 PM
- CarMax Tacky Light Run • December 12th, 6:00 PM (walk up registration only)
- Fan District Holiday House Tour • December 12th & 13th, 1:00 – 6:00 PM
- Church Hill Holiday House Tour • December 13th, 12:00 – 5:00 PM