How to combat boredom in a weekend (and weekday).
Photo by Muhammad Rehan.
Our new intern, Chris Bolling, is patiently trying to explain to us what the Kids Of Today are into. So we just went ahead and let him start his own 5 Things column.
MOVIES! MOVIES! MOVIES! In the season of Valentine’s day, our most beloved and outrageous comic book character is back. Deadpool! Deadpool will be premiering in theatres on Friday. Also premiering Friday: the long-awaited [Pride and Prejudice and Zombies]. It may scare you to death (or just slightly).
- Opens Friday, February 12th
- BowTie Movieland, 1301 N. Boulevard at W. Leigh Street (or a theater nearer to you)
- $10 for an adult. ( There might be a student discount if you bring your Student ID)
For many teens, their future is college. And within the whole college application process is a lot, a lot, A LOT of things to do. If it were possible there are almost too many things to do in such a short period of time. But nevermind that now. Take a weekend to relax…by visiting yet, another college. VCU, is hosting a home game against Saint Louis this weekend.
- Saturday, February 13th • 6:00 PM
- Stuart C. Siegel Center, 1200 W. Broad Street
- $25 dollars a ticket. (You can just borrow money from your parents and tell them that it’s going towards college searches.)
Yes, Romeo and Juliet are back in our lives again. From our first middle school play, to the present day. The story of these star-crossed lovers will be crossed again, this time involving the local ballet scene. Stoner Winslett, the artistic director of the Richmond Ballet, talks about presenting Romeo and Juliet’s story in a new light with the hope to challenge the audience.
- February 12th – 14th • showtimes may vary depending on what day you go)
- Carpenter Theatre, 600 E. Grace Street
- Ticket prices start at $20
What started off as a coffee love and expanded to a pancake love is now taking a new form this year. RVA Biscuit Love will be taking place this Valentine’s day at Monroe Park to show the hungry how much we (as a city) love them. If you’re in need of either love or food (I think we all want both!), or if you’d like to be a part of others spreading love or food, head over to the park. Trevor Dickerson has more info here.
- Sunday, February 14th • 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Monroe Park, 700 W. Main Street
- Free! (Isn’t that convenient?)
If you don’t know, now you know. Performing Statistics alongside the Legal aid Justice Center will be hosting a Youth Lobby Day at the State Capitol. Youth, young adults, and youth allies are welcomed to come together on Monday the 15th to promote and advocate for safer community spaces for all youth in the City of Richmond.
* Monday, February 15th • 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
* Virginia Capitol Building, 1000 Bank Street
* Free! And you may be able to get a free ” Prisons don’t work” armband! (Isn’t that double convenient??)