If your weekends are anything like mine, you spend most of your time requesting a toddler to either pick out, put on, or don’t take off shoes. But what to do with the remaining twenty minutes of the weekend?
Welcome to the Family Style edition of Five Things! If your weekends are anything like mine, you spend most of your time requesting a toddler to either pick out, put on, or don’t take off shoes. But what to do with the remaining twenty minutes of the weekend? Consider the following!
This musical version of the popular book is performed by a cast of Richmond kids.
- May 2nd – 12th, check website for showtimes
- SPARC Center, 2106 N. Hamilton Street
The Flying Squirrels play a string of home games May 3rd – 8th (including one with a 2:05 pm starting time on May 5th for those little Squirrels fans who might not make it through a night game). Friday and Saturday nights’ games will have fireworks, and Sunday is Kids Bat Night (presumably, free bats are given to the kids, and not that kids are at bat, although that would be adorable).
- May 3rd – 8th, check website for specific game times
- The Diamond, 3001 N. Boulevard
- Cost: $4 – $11
This annual festival celebrates Latin American culture with food, live music, merchants, arts and crafts, and by turning the Canal Walk into the Floating Gardens of Xochimilco, which zero other Richmond festivals do.
- May 4th, 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Canal Walk, 14th and Dock Streets
- Free admission, including free boat rides on the Canal
Richmond’s biggest farmers market returns to the Forest Hill Park location through December 7th. I’m not sure how a marketplace for produce has turned into a huge event for young kids and dogs, but I’m guessing it’s related to the number of dessert options available before lunchtime.
- May 4th, 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Forest Hill Park, Forest Hill Avenue and 42nd Street
- Free admission
This children’s classic is performed at Agecroft Hall with hand puppets, which is one of the best ways to tell a story.
- May 4th, shows at 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM
- Agecroft Hall, 4305 Sulgrave Road
- $7 (2 and under are free), advance purchase recommended