It’s awesome how Richmond has decided to not be all Hellmouth-y this summer. Get out and enjoy it, less-sweaty-than-usual friends!
Photo by: Artful Magpie
The VCU Tooth Fairy1 will drop in to teach the little ones (ages 2 to 7, please) about the proper way to brush and care for their little chompers.
- Thursday, August 20th • 11:00 AM
- Westover Hills Library, 1408 Westover Hills Boulevard
Make a cloud in a bottle; fire water rockets with bike pumps; test out CO2 racers; and more! At 6:30 PM, head into the Dome for an all-live Cosmic Expeditions, followed by an 8:00 PM screening of The Wizard of Oz. Afterwards, join members of the Richmond Astronomical Society outside for some stargazing.
- Friday, August 21st • 5:00 – 9:00 PM
- Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street
- $5 (free for members)
Give your kids the opportunity to explore one of Richmond’s most vibrant neighborhoods. As you pound some Jackson Ward pavement, you’ll visit murals, restored and renovated buildings, and historic homes–all representative of the area’s journey from “immigrant neighborhood to the Harlem of the South” to its growing status as the center of Richmond’s art scene.
- Saturday, August 22nd • 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Meet at 2nd and Marshall Streets
4. Animal Day
Help close out the Children’s Museum of Richmond’s Summer Series by visiting with–and petting–animal friends from Teeny Tiny Farm, For the Love of Pooches & Poodles, SPCA Agility Dogs, and Parrots of Paradise.
- Saturday, August 22nd • 10:00 AM — 4:00 PM
- Children’s Museum of Richmond Central, 2626 W. Broad Street
- Free with admission ($9; members and kids under 1 are free)
Oh man, I know this event will probably be packed, but it sounds like such a great way to start Richmond’s long goodbye to summer. Unique beers on draft, food trucks, sweet merch (including posters featuring art from one-time RVANews contributor Bizhan Khodabandeh), and music all the live long day? Yes, please, and thank you, Hardywood.
- Saturday, August 22nd • 2:00 – 9:00 PM
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery, 2408 Ownby Lane
- Free admission
- VCU has its own tooth fairy? Does UR have one? Do they hate each other? ↩