Yes, yes, the Big Bike Race™ starts on Saturday. And while we encourage (nay, command!) you to get out and enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime event, here are a few ways to fill in time between all those time trials and circuits.
Photo by: wisze
Well, this sounds adorable. Kids ages 5 to 11 are invited to learn about swordplay from different times in history, make their own swords and shields, and learn some basic fencing moves.
- Thursday, September 17th • 6:00 – 7:00 PM
- Dumbarton Library, 6800 Staples Mill Road
- Free (but please call 804.290.9400 to register)
Great music, food, and drink from local vendors, and fun stuff for the kids–what a fantastic way to unwind before the Worlds start and we all diiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee. JK JK, we’ll be fine. But this still sounds really fun!
- Friday, September 18th • 5:00 – 8:00 PM
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, 6000 Grove Avenue
- $10 for adults (ages 13 and up); $7 for children ages 2 to 12; $30 for a family ticket; children under 2 are free
Head into the Dome for a special all-live Cosmic Expeditions, stick around for a screening of E.T., and then head outside for some telescope-assisted stargazing with the Richmond Astronomical Society–if you and your family aren’t still sobbing over that damn alien.
- Friday, September 18th • 5:00 – 9:00 PM
- Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street
- $5; free for members
Stories, crafts, and a chance to hang out with your favorite blue cat. Oh, you didn’t know there was a blue cat named Pete who is your favorite? Soon you will understand, parents. Soon.
- Saturday, September 19th • 10:30 – 11:15 AM
- Chester Library, 11800 Centre Street
- Free (registration required)
Pay a call on the Dooleys and their devoted staff with this family-friendly/blast-to-the-past visit to the Maymont Mansion. You’ll also get a chance to play old-fashioned games, go for a carriage ride, and take a look at turn-of-the-century bicycles–and, of course, try to get the actors to break character by wagging your iPhones in their faces.
- Sunday, September 20th • 12:00 — 5:00 PM
- Maymont Mansion, 1700 Hampton Street
- Free admission