Saturday is the first day of August. Slow your roll, Father Time! We’ve still got some summertime living to do!
Photo by: Emily Rachel Hildebrand
The police officer who served as crossing guard at my son’s school left mid-year because he made it to the Mounted Police Squad. Apparently it’s a super big deal? I guess you only want the best of the best in charge of animals that weigh ONE THOUSAND POUNDS. Anyway, come meet some of these officers (and their horses!) at North Avenue Library. This event is recommended for ages PreK through 5th grade, but family and siblings are welcome. Call 804.646.6675 or visit the North Avenue front desk to sign up.
- Thursday, July 30th • 2:00 PM
- North Avenue Library, 2901 North Avenue
I just got a mental image of the Diggity Dudes covering “No Diggity” and can’t stop laughing. But don’t worry, ‘rents: the odds of that ever happening are like a quadrillion to one. Nothing but kid-friendly jams from these dudes!
- Friday, July 31st • 11:00 AM
- Ha’Penny Stage at Dogwood Dell, Byrd Park
See what happens when parents and their children come together to make art–an effort headed up by Angela M.D. Allen and her four-year-old daughter, Marita. I imagine the works featured in this show will be a mix of sweetness, hilarity, and total absurdity. Much like parenting.
- Friday, July 31st • 5:00 – 7:00 PM
- 1708 Gallery, 319 W. Broad Street
World Breastfeeding Week begins on Saturday, and the 2015 effort focuses on working women and breastfeeding. So all you nursing mothers (and partners and families of nursing mothers), come support your fellow breastfeeding families–and enjoy food and meet with local breastfeeding-friendly groups–at the 5th Annual Big Latch On. The “latch on” (i.e. everyone breastfeeding at the same time) begins at 10:30 AM sharp!
- Saturday, August 1st • 9:30 AM – 12:00 PM
- St. Francis Medical Center (1st floor outdoor cafe), 13710 St. Francis Boulevard
An early game and a chance for kids to snag a Nutzy cape? Flying Squirrels, you are too good to us.
- Sunday, August 2nd • 1:35 PM; gates open at 12:35 PM)
- The Diamond, 301 N. Boulevard
- $8-$13 (first 1,500 ages 14 and under will get a free cape)