Here comes the fun doo doo doo doo…
Photo by: TexasEagle
This week is your last chance to check out Butterflies Live! before those winged creatures are outta here–at least until next spring. But no worries: once we bid adieu to the butterflies, it’s only a matter of time until we get to have GardenFest, AKA The Best of the Richmond Holiday Haps.
- Runs through Sunday, October 11th • 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, 1800 Lakeside Avenue
- Free with admission ($12 for adults; $11 for seniors; $8 for children ages 3 to 12; and free for members and kids under 3)
More than 40 performers on seven stages, along with all kinds of great food, kids activities, amazing crafts, and pretty much every single person you went to high school with! But it’ll be tons of fun. I promise.
- Friday, October 9th through Sunday, October 11th • hours vary by date
- Brown’s Island, bottom of 12th Street
- Free, but don’t forget to put a drop in the bucket!
Walkers and runners of all ages are invited to take part in this four-mile walk/run, but those looking for an especially cool experience (and who happen to be between the ages of 5 and 10) can try their luck at the Superkid Adventure Obstacle Course. Post-race refreshments, kids’ activities, costume contest, music and more will immediately follow the race. Proceeds benefit the Children’s Hospital Foundation.
- Saturday, October 10th • Superkid Adventure Obstacle Course begins at 8:30 AM; walk/run begins at 9:00 AM
- Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU, 2924 Brook Road
- $35 for the walk/run; $15 for the obstacle course (superhero cape included)
Based on the true story of “Lonesome George,” a one-of-a-kind tortoise from the Galapagos Islands, this show offers an important lesson about man’s impact on the environment. Fun fact: Galapagos George was funded in part by a grant from the Puppeteers of America Endowment Fund. Another fun fact: There is a Puppeteers of America Endowment Fund.
- Saturday, October 10th • 10:00 AM
- Gottwalk Playhouse at CenterStage, 600 E. Grace Street
Join in on the search for alien life and discover strange alien-like creatures found here on Earth. And robots will be there, too! Side note: If this exhibit doesn’t include a “And they have a plan” reference at some point, I’m going to be super TO’d.
- Runs Saturday, October 10th through Sunday, February 21st • 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM Tuesday through Saturday; 11:30 AM — 5:00 PM Sundays
- Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street
- Free with admission (see website for pricing options)