What a weekend to be a Richmonder, amirite?!??
Photo by: libraryman
You know how trips to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts with your kids usually involve you pleading with them to not touch anything as they flail around the galleries and remain totally unaware of how their bodies move in space? This won’t be that! Probably! ARTcycle gives visitors the chance to hop on a bike and take a virtual–virtual! as in nothing to touch!– tour of the VMFA’s collection to discover how artists have been inspired by the bicycle and movement. And if your children must put their hands on something, they’ll also have the opportunity to create their own original works of art using bicycle bits and bobs.
- Through Thursday, June 30th1 • 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM (open until 9:00 PM on Thursdays and Fridays)
- Memorial Foundation for Children Teaching Gallery at the VMFA, 200 N. Boulevard
As more than 70 nations are competing in the Big Bike Race™, it only makes sense to use it as an opportunity to teach our kids about life beyond our little city on the James. “Big Planet, Small World” has spent the last several months soliciting post cards from people from all over the world, asking them to share a little bit about their hometowns with the people of Richmond. These post cards will be on display at ArtWorks through the end of the race, and new contributions will be added as they arrive–and judging by the postings on the show’s Facebook page, many more are on their way. So plan on making multiple trips, is what I’m saying.
- Runs through Sunday, September 27th • 12:00 — 6:00 PM Tuesdays through Sundays
- Art Works, 320 Hull Street
Food! Rides! Niche agriculture and interests! You can’t go wrong.
- Friday, September 25th through Sunday, October 4th • 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM Fridays and Saturdays; 10:00 AM – 9:00 PM Sundays through Thursdays
- Meadow Event Park, 13191 Dawn Boulevard (Doswell)
- $9-$25; see website for pricing options
IT’S DECORATIVE GOURD SEASON, MOTHERF*CKERS! But please don’t shout that while you’re out helping your poppets pick out the perfect pumpkin and enjoy hayrides and the straw bale maze. It could kill the mood.
- Saturday, September 26th • 8:00 AM – dusk
- Gallmeyer Farms, 4506 Millers Lane
- Free admission
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the big moment! Or, big moment_s_, I guess I should say! All this time trial business comes to an end this weekend, culminating with the “elite” riders hitting the pavement to race against each other rather than the clock. And then we’ll all have to say goodbye to the UCI Road World Championships and, thus, all joy and fun.
- Saturday, September 26th • 1:00 — 4:25 PM (women) and Sunday, September 27th • 9:00 AM — 3:45 PM
- Course details
- But go see it now because BIKES BIKES BIKES! ↩