SCHOOL’S OUT FOR SUMMAH! Or it is on Friday! Check out some great ways to spend the first weekend of summer vacation.
Watch as over a dozen cats (all former orphans, rescues, and strays) walk tightropes, push carts, skateboard, jump through hoops, balance on balls, and more.
But wait! There’s more! From the event website (because there’s no way I could describe it better)…
Tuna, the star of the show, is the leader of the ONLY CAT BAND IN EXISTENCE–The Rock Cats. With Oz on guitar, Dakota on drums, Nue on keyboards, and Sookie on chimes, Tuna (who plays cowbell) and her backing band really strut their stuff with their own style of original music. Cluck Norris, a chicken on cymbal and tambourine, isn’t “kitten” around–she usually steals the show!
This is an irresistible event, no?
- Thursday, June 11th — Sunday, June 14th and Thursday, June 18th — Sunday, June 21st • showtimes at 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, and 8:00 PM; see website for daily showtimes
- Gottwald Playhouse at CenterStage, 600 E. Grace Street
- $22 (a portion of each show’s ticket sales goes to cat and kitten rescue programs)
This Friday and Saturday, 1500 champions will go for the gold in seven different sports, and Special Olympics Virginia needs you and yours to get LOUD for these amazing athletes. There are cheering opportunities throughout the weekend around town, so you’re sure find something that works for your family. And if not, well, make it work anyway because there’s no way this won’t be a rewarding experience for each and every one of you.
- Friday, June 12th and Saturday, June 13th • see website for event times
- Location varies by event; see website for details
- Free (but be sure to register so they know you’re coming!)
Celebrate National Pollinator Week with family-friendly activities like puppet shows, crafts, games, butterfly garden tours, and even a chance to take a peek inside a beehive. Dressing your small child up as a bumblebee for this event is highly encouraged…by me. There are never enough babies dressed as bumblebees in the world.
- Saturday, June 13th • 11:00 AM — 3:00 PM
- Children’s Farm Lawn, Maymont
Do you remember how this movie BLEW OUR MINDS when we were kids? For both the whole live action/animated hybrid thing and…other things? I honestly think kids these days won’t bat an eyelash at any of that stuff, but it’s worth another watch just to see how many adult-targeted jokes we missed when we saw it the first time around.
- Saturday, June 13th and Sunday, June 14th • 11:00 AM
- Movieland, 1301 N. Boulevard
Cartwheels & Coffee’s newest weekly program gives your little one a chance to explore his/her creative side. With a focus more on process than product, instructor Miss Lisa promises tons of fun…and probably a little mess. Just bring a change of clothes (for the kid and you), and just roll with it.
- Monday, June 15th (occurs weekly) • 10:00 AM
- Cartwheels & Coffee, 2820 W. Cary Street
- Free with admission ($5 for children 1 and over; $4 for each additional child; free for children under 1)