Science, literature, food, exercise, film—we love a well-rounded weekend!
This collaborative exhibition between faculty and students in Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of Engineering and School of Arts and the Science Museum of Virginia offers 20 experiences that aim to convey the importance of mitochondria which, as you all surely remember from fifth grade science, are the powerhouses of the cells in our bodies. Check out two- and three-dimensional art that will A) highlight the importance of these tiny organelles in our overall health and B) inspire you to make informed lifestyle choices. Plus, it’s art coming out of VCU; you know it’s going to be great.
- Runs daily through Wednesday, June 17th &bulll 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street
- Free with admission ($11-$15; members and kids 3 and under get in free)
We are big Elephant (real name: Gerald) and Piggie fans in our house, as anyone who parents a young child probably is. Thank the good Lord for Mo Willems, as I always say. Celebrate two of the most adorable characters in children’s literature with stories and fun activities. And might I suggest a reading of this before you go?
- Thursday, March 26th • 3:30 PM
- Glen Allen Library, 10501 Staples Mill Road
Spring has sprung, which means it’s prime time to get your hands on some fresh, local produce and cook up homemade baby food for your little ones–if that’s your thing, of course. Get tips and recipes, watch the process, and sample the results if you like!
- Thursday, March 26th • 6:30 PM
- Hip to Be Round, 3124 W. Cary Street
The Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k will likely get all the attention this weekend, but don’t forget the kiddos! You still have the opportunity to sign your kids up for the Virginia 529 Kids Run, a one-mile fun run for kids ages 5 to 12. And if you’re doing the big race, don’t be intimated by logistics: the Kids Run finishes just a couple blocks from the 10k start. One parent may run with kids 8 and under.
- Saturday, March 28th • 8:00 AM
- Cathedral Place near Laurel Street (finishes in Monroe Park)
- Online registration is over, but you can walk-up register for $30 at the Race Expo this Thursday and Friday
Take your kids to see the beloved 1962 film adaptation of the Tony Award-winning Broadway classic or I’ll come find you and sing “Till There Was You” in your face. And I promise it won’t sound as lovely as this:
- Saturday, March 28th and Sunday, March 29th &bull 11:00 AM
- Movieland, 1301 N. Boulevard
Photo by: color line