Art! Music! Film! History! Another kind of art that potentially grosses me out, but that shouldn’t keep you from being into it! Check out it, ‘rents…
Awwww, baby’s first art opening! Bring the kids along for an opening reception celebrating “Fluffy Silly Intelligent Happy,” an exhibit showcasing the work of students from Art 180’s fall 2014 programs. Photography, zines, comic books, sculpture, video games, word quilts–tons of different kinds of art will be on display for you and your family to enjoy. And they’ll have snackies!
- Friday, February 6th • 6:00 — 9:00 PM
- Art 180, 114 W. Marshall Street
Watch as young (and talented! and local!) musicians, dancers, actors, and spoken word artists honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Friday, February 6th • 7:00 — 9:00 PM
- Richmond Public Library’s Main Branch, 101 E. Franklin Street
The Fifth Annual RVA Environmental Film Festival lasts from the 2nd until the 8th, but they’ve got some especially kid-friendly flicks lined up for this weekend. Enjoy a double feature of The Lorax (not the newish one, the one you watched when you were a kid) and Disneynature’s 2014 Bears–both sure to please earth-loving audiences both young and old.
- Saturday, Februrary 7th • 10:00 AM and 10:30 AM
- The Byrd Theatre, 2908 W. Cary Street
A reading of Henry’s Freedom will kick off this installment of the Virginia Historical Society’s Stories at the Museum–the first of two focused on Black History Month. After the educator-lead reading of the book, the kids will get to participate in a “make-and-take” craft activity related to the story.
- Saturday, February 7th • 11:00 AM
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 N. Boulevard
Apparently there’s a type of printing called “Gyotaku” in which you paint a fish and then place said fish on some sort of canvas-like situation, thus creating–you guessed it–a print. And apparently this is happening at Maymont on Saturday. I’m fascinated, so can someone go and report back the specifics? I can’t go because if it involves touching actual fish I…no.
- Saturday, February 7th &bull 11:00 AM — 12:00 PM (please register online by Friday)
- Maymont Nature & Visitor Center, Shields Lake Drive entrance
- $15 per project; $12 for members (paint, T-shirt or tote bag, and fish provided)
Photo by: psyberartist