When I think about this week, I can’t help but quote the wise Travis Birckenstock: “Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. Fine holiday fun.”
This is a little last minute, but go ahead and give it a shot. Join Elmo, Grover, Abby Cadabby, and the rest of the Sesame Street crew as they welcome Chamki, Grover’s friend from India to their ‘hood. Your little ones will learn about “the universal fun of friendship” as they explore cultural similarities–when they aren’t shrieking “ELLLLLLMOOOOOOOO”, that is.
- Wednesday, December 10th • 10:30 AM — 12:00 PM
- Richmond CenterStage, 600 E. Grace Street
Local playwright Bo Wilson offers a new take on this beloved tale as four actors portray all of the characters from A Christmas Carol. This Henley Street Theatre production promises music, joy, and all kinds of holiday warmth. So you can’t go wrong.
- Runs weekends December 12th through December 21st • 8:00 PM and 2:00 PM shows available
- Grace Street Theatre, 934 W. Grace Street
- $15 for kids; $30 for adults
Arts and crafts, a parade, music, and a visit from Santa–all on one of Richmond’s most small-town-y streets. Kids who bring a new, unwrapped toy to donate to Toys for Tots can be registered to win a new bike!
- Saturday, December 13th • 11:00 AM — 4:00 PM
- 4000 block of MacArthur Avenue
- Free admission
Oh I just love this: watch as 60(ish) local artists create original drawings (of monsters!) on-site as you hang out, enjoy some Lamplighter coffee and snacks or local beer, and let your kids go nuts on the giant chalkboard at the front of the gallery. Once a drawing is complete, it can be purchased for $65 with ALL proceeds going towards 1708 Gallery.
- Saturday, December 13th • 12:30 — 5:00 PM
- 1708 Gallery, 319 W. Broad Street
- $5 (kids are free)
Fourteen of Richmond’s best jazz musicians join forces to bring us fun, energetic arrangements of everyone’s favorite Christmas songs. Tickets for the 4:00 PM performance are sold out, but you still have the chance to make it to the 7:00 PM show.
- Sunday, December 14th • 7:00 PM
- VCU Singleton Center for the Performing Arts, 922 Park Avenue
- $15 for adults; $13 for children 12 and under (proceeds benefit CrossOver Healthcare Ministry)
Photo by: cobblucas