It’s Folk Festival weekend! And also a weekend full of other fun stuff!
1. Pirate Day
Enjoy a special, pirate-themed story- and music-time with Jeff Beatman, local music-man and storyteller. While costumes are not required, registration is; call to 804-646-1877 to sign up.
- Wednesday, October 8th • 4:30 PM
- West End Library, 5420 Patterson Avenue
This one is all the way out in Farmville, but for those of you who like to geek out over children’s books (myself included), this is right up your alley. Authors and illustrators of children’s and young adult literature will be on hand for dynamic panels and programs both for those who want to write books for kids and those who just like to read them. FYI: Judy Blume will be Skyping in to chat on Friday and Saturday. SQUEEEEE.
- Friday, October 11th and Saturday, October 12th • 9:30 AM — 9:30 PM on Friday; 9:30 AM — 3:30 PM on Saturday
- Longwood Univeristy, see website for specific directions and locations
- Free to attend
E.B. White’s classic comes alive on stage, delighting young readers and giving their parents suffocating lumps in their throats as they remember the ending OMG SO MANY FEELINGS.
- Friday, October 10th through November 9th • show times vary, so see website for details
- Children’s Theatre at Willow Lawn, 1601 Willow Lawn Drive
Is it weird to think that some of the kids attending this year’s Richmond Folk Festival weren’t even a glimmer in their parents’ eyes when the first one took place? Eh, who cares? Ten years is something to celebrate, so get in on this!
- Friday, October 10th through Sunday, October 12th • 6:00 — 10:00 PM on Friday; 12:00 — 9:30 PM on Saturday; 12:00 — 6:00 PM on Sunday
- From 2nd to 7th Streets and from Byrd Street to the river
- Free (but don’t forget to make a drop in the bucket!)
Help raise money for K9 Search and Rescue Dogs, Inc. with a group stroll around Rockwood Park, along with games, food, and silent auctions.
- Saturday, October 11th • 12:00 — 4:00 PM
- Rockwood Park, 3401 Courthouse Road
- $12 admission (all proceeds will be donated)
Photo by: SuperFantastic