This is it, moms and dads. The last weekend of summer vacation. Make it count.
Rides, music, food, craft demos, bull riding, something called mutton bustin’…there’s way too much to mention here, but I assure you it will be a time.1
- Through Saturday, August 30th • 4:00 — 11:00 PM on weekdays; 11:00 AM — 11:00 PM on Saturday; 1:00 — 11:00 PM on Sunday
- Corner of Courthouse and Krause Roads
- $8 for adults; $5 for kids; children under 3 are free
OMG I JUST RUINED IT.
- Thursday, August 28th • 3:00 — 4:00 PM
- North Avenue Library, 2901 North Avenue
- Free (but call 804-646-6675 and use the password SECRET PIZZA2 to let them know you’re coming)
Because no family is complete until you can hold conversations consisting only of quotes from this movie. When I was growing up,3 this was our go-to scene:
Perhaps the time has come for you and yours.
- Saturday, August 30th and Sunday, August 31st • 11:00 AM
- Movieland, 1301 N. Boulevard
Eric Litwin is the man we can all thank for the literary treasure that is Pete the Cat. After signing4 copies of his newest book, The Nuts: Bedtime at the Nut House, Mr. Litwin will treat us to a live performance. Food trucks will also be parked outside, so you don’t even need to worry about dinner!
- Friday, August 29th • 5:00 — 7:00 PM
- Children’s Museum of Richmond Central, 2626 W. Broad Street
- Free (museum admission required if your kids want to check out the exhibits)
Even the four-legged members5 of your fam can get in on watching the Richmond Spiders kick off the 2014 football season as they take on Morehead State! Also: the first 75 dogs get a free Spiders bandana. Cute pupper alert!
- Saturday, August 30th • 6:00 PM
- Robins Stadium, University of Richmond
- $15 per ticket (1 dog per ticket) with a portion of the proceeds going to the Richmond SPCA
- I’m really proud of myself for putting a My So-Called Life reference in with a blurb about the Chesterfield County Fair. Raynne Graff would love it. ↩
- My source used the all caps when sharing the password. I don’t know if you’re supposed to shout it when you call or not though. Maybe a shout-whisper will do? ↩
- I used to HATE how Miracle Max’s wife is named Valerie. Now it’s a source of pride. ↩
- To join the signing line, each family must purchase a copy of The Nuts: Bedtime at the Nuthouse either on-site or at bbgb (who is also co-hosting the event). ↩
- Well, the dogs at least. Cats hate football anyway. ↩