Yes, I realize a three-day bicycle race will take over the city this weekend. But Richmond has tons of other family-friendly haps lined up as well. Have a look-see…
THEY’RE BAAAAAAAAAACK. Butterflies LIVE! sets up shop at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden to, once again, blow everyone’s minds. This year’s exhibit also features a Butterfly Nursery where native butterflies will emerge from their chrysalides. Visitors can also watch daily as these newly-emerged butterflies are released into the exhibit.
- Friday, May 2nd through October 12th • 9:00 AM — 5:00 PM
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, 1800 Lakeside Avenue
- Included with garden admission
River City Taiko will stop by the Main branch of the Richmond Library to introduce us to taiko, a Japanese style of ensemble drumming. Drumming in a library? Get in on this crazy!
- Friday, May 2nd • 6:00 — 8:00 PM
- Main Library, 101 E. Franklin Street
Enjoy fun adaptations of world folktales, myths, and even true stories told by the character creations of Barefoot Puppets, a Richmond-based puppet studio that has been building and performing since 1997. Word on the street is you should expect lots of laughs, music, and chances to interact with the puppets. Sounds like a winner to me!
- Saturday, May 3rd • 10:00 AM
- Children’s Theatre of Virginia at Willow Lawn, 1601 Willow Lawn Drive
All-you-can eat BBQ and ribs–and baked beans, cole slaw, potato salad, sweet tea and AHHH SO MUCH GOOD FOOD I CANNOT EVEN. Also: music!
- Saturday, May 3rd • 1:00 — 5:00 PM
- ACCA Temple, 1712 Bellevue Avenue
- $25 in advance, $35 at the door
Watch as teams of students (up to 8th grade) race their solar-powered cars to determine who has best harnessed the power of the Earth’s Yellow Sun.
- Sunday, May 4th • 1:00 — 4:00 PM
- Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street
- Free with museum admission
(Reminder: the USA Cycling Collegiate Road Nationals will be in Richmond this weekend, resulting in many road closures. No need to hole up at home though. Just read this and plan ahead a little bit so you don’t find yourself stuck.)