Some art, some sports, some commiserating with other parents about why kids can be such weirdsmobiles. RVA’s got something for each member of the fam over the next few days…
Check out the region’s Scholastic Art Awards Gold Key winners, featuring top works of art from students in grades 7 through 12. Previous Scholastic Art Award winners include Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, Zac Posen, Joyce Carol Oates, and Andy Warhol, so know that these kids are The Real Deal.
- Open through April 15th • 10:00 AM — 5:00 PM Saturday through Wednesday; 10:00 AM — 5:00 PM Thursday through Saturday
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, 200 N. Boulevard
Show your kids that basketball isn’t just about the boys.1 Watch as VCU and University of Richmond join the rest of the Atlantic 10‘s women’s basketball to battle it out for the conference championship.
- Wednesday, March 5th through Sunday, March 9th • game times vary
- Richmond Coliseum, 601 E. Leigh Street
- $12-$27 (discounts available for students, seniors, kids, and groups)
Or if less conventional sports are more your family’s jam, try your hand–or broom–at curling. The Curling Club of Virginia will host two workshops where they’ll fill you in on the curling basics. Participants must be at least 12 years of age; those under 18 must be accompanied by a guardian.
- Thursday, March 6th • 7:00 — 9:00 PM and Saturday, March 8th • 6:00 — 9:00 PM
- Richmond Ice Zone, 636 Johnston Willis Drive
- $10 per person
Call the babysitter and get your sweet bippy over to this Commonwealth Parenting workshop focused on coping with the conflicts inherent to life with kids ages 5 to 11. I’m really hoping there will be a segment entitled “What Did Coats Ever Do to Kids?™”2
- Thursday, March 6th • 6:00 — 8:00 PM
- Children’s Museum of Richmond Central, 2626 W. Broad Street
It’s true! They do! This exhibit will feature more than 50 color cartoon panels (and some full-sized posters) following Mitch, pizza deliverer extraordinaire, as he brings the ‘za to the likes of aliens, biker gangs, and even King Kong. Sounds like tons of fun. Also: pizza.
- Opens Friday, March 7th • 6:30 — 9:00 PM (runs through April 1st; see library website for regular hours)
- Richmond Public Library — Main branch, 101 E. Franklin Street