It’s a little annoying how many things there are to do this weekend. Here’s hoping it’s cool to wear an Avatar: The Last Airbender “Azula” costume to the Electric Football Championships, because it’s all about saving time.
Photo by: rauter25
1. Wizard World Comic Con Kick Off + The Big Event Itself
Come one, come all, in costume, clutching game pieces, wielding DVD box sets of each and every SyFy original series. It is finally here: Comic Con. Read our handy guide for picks from our elite Inner Circle of Total Geeks, and plan your weekend accordingly. It all starts tonight at Strangeways Brewing with Kick off the Con, the official kick off party, featuring celebs like Jim Jackman from Spaceballs and local celebs like BEER. I personally can not stop thinking about the Strangeway Radlers. I am not a beer fan, but man do those sound good. It’s like the San Pellegrino of alcoholic drinks. Wait, why doesn’t San Pellegrino make alcoholic drinks?
- Kick Off is Thursday, July 30th from 6:30 – 9:30 Wizard World Comic Con goes until Sunday, August 2nd
- Strangeways Brewing, 2277A Dabney Road, and Greater Richmond Convention Center, 403 N. 3rd Street
- Kick Off is free to attend, Comic Con costs various amounts, but you get 20% off if you use the code “RVANEWS” !!!
Are you ready for some FOOTBALL!? No, seriously, it’s time for possibly the only football I can stomach: Electric football! If you’re not convinced, check out Nathan Cushing’s piece from 2013 and then come back for Hayley DeRoche’s charming chat with some Coaches (that’s what they’re called!) this afternoon. Basically, it’s a bunch of people who seriously love a thing who have found a place in which their seriously-loved thing is cherished by all. You should go experience it.
- Friday, July 31st – Sunday, August 2nd • see site for schedule
- Four Points Sheraton, 4700 South Laburnum
- Various prices
I enjoy any festival that allows me to gaze at the river without making me feel bad for not getting IN said river. And gaze I will at the huge canoes decked out in traditional Chinese dragon garb. This is a really neat thing to see, and I suggest you do so, as they compete for your favor! And also to see who is fastest!
- Saturday, August 1st • 8:45 AM – 3:00 PM
- Rocketts Landing, 5000 Old Osborne Turnpike
- Free to attend!
4. Too many other festivals
Guys, can I just direct you to the August Festivals page? There’s the Kickers’ Craft Beer Fest and the 5th Annual Jazz and Food Festival at St. Elizabeth’s, too, but this is called “5 Things,” not “1,000,000 Things.” It’s not that I’m lazy, it’s just that I’ve got all these festivals to go to.
- Kickers’ Craft Beer Fest is on Saturday, August 1st at 5:30 PM, St. Elizabeth’s is also on Saturday, from 12:00 – 7:30 PM
- Richmond City Stadium is at 3201 Maplewood Avenue, and St. Elizabeth’s is at 2nd Avenue and Victor Street
- Craft Beer: $12 ticket to the game gets you a beer and a Kickers cup • Jazz: $5 donation gets you in the door!
5. Dar Williams
Maybe it’s that I went to a women’s college and maybe it’s that Dar Williams is actually really good, but either way, I have a soft spot for this folksy legend. You gotta go to Dar, or the ghosts of a million righteous alumnae will haunt you! The Tin Pan’s website has a really good write-up about ol’ Dar. I mean, young and vibrant Dar! Sorry, Dar! It’s super fun to say your name, Dar!
- Sunday, August 2nd • 7:00 PM
- The Tin Pan, 8982 Quioccasan Road
- $45 in advance, $50 at the door
OK, so it’s “1,000,000 Things” after all. I could not leave off National Night Out, which happens this coming Tuesday, August 4th. All over the country, and probably in your neighborhood, there will be tons of things to do as we get out and meet each other and support local businesses etc. Put Netflix aside for this one evening (just one evening a year, deep breaths) and venture out! More on locations and happenings next week.