As the city wakes up from its summer repose, wring the last drops of summer from the fabric of your weekend. Labor Day weekend fast approacheth, y’all. Get moving.
The Midnight Suggestion is always doing just that: suggesting things. Sometimes at midnight (I guess). And the things it suggests are comedian powerhouses that it has so graciously brought to our humble city. This time around, Myq Kaplan, who specializes in being an adorable nerd on his comedy specials and Late Night appearances, etc., heads up the lineup. Another suggestion: bring an extra pair of pants.
- Thursday, August 21st • 7:30 – 10:30 PM
- Gallery5, 200 W. Marshall Street
- Online ticketing is closed, but you can purchase admission for $12 at the door
I allowed dog rescue organization FURS to campaign on Twitter for this event to be included in this column. I demanded cute puppy photos, and they delivered. LITTLE DID THEY KNOW, it was already on my list! Ha! Take that, FURS! We all win! Anyway, this dog-centered event involves a silent auction, pet-themed artwork, fashion shows, and photobooths–ALL WITH YOUR DOG. It’s like I keep saying, “Dogs are the toddlers that everyone likes,”1 and wouldn’t it be cute to support a good cause with the friend who loves you best?
- Friday, August 22nd • 7:00 – 10:00 PM
- Art Works, 320 Hull Street
- Free to attend! (Donation requested for fashion show and photobooth and, of course, the silent auction)
Ever wanted to see what it felt like to be a real race car driver? Or maybe you just want to understand your older brother’s taste in bedroom wall posters in the 1980s.2 For a fee, you can get a little bit of driving instruction (from their driving “sherpas”) and then cruise around an obstacle-laden track in a car you’ve never even come close to touching before. And then you can go home like a civilized person in your Honda CR-V.
- Friday, August 22nd – Sunday, August 24th • call to reserve spot
- Richmond International Raceway, 600 E. Laburnum Avenue
- See site for package prices
Quirk Gallery, Steady Sounds, 1708 Gallery, Black Iris, Verdalina, and Lift Coffee continue their quest to make their stretch of Broad Street the coolest stretch in town. This summer’s Lawn Chair Movie Series (bring your own lawn chair, btw) features refreshments available for purchase, live entertainment, a costume contest, and some of the greatest vaguely summer-themed movies ever to be made. This week: the genius, unparalleled Mean Girls.
- Saturday, August 23rd • 7:00 – 10:00 PM
- Parking lot next to Quirk Gallery, 311 W. Broad street
5. Glow Swim
I’m a real sucker for anything that involves lights at night. And let’s be honest, an athletic event has to be PRETTY COOL to get me there. But I’m thinking about going to watch the Glow Swim–the finale of the HCA,Va Open H2O Race Series–where the SUPs, kayaks, and EVEN THE SWIMMERS will be glowing as they move through the river. And remember: Winter Is Coming™, so gather these outdoor moments while ye may.
- Sunday, August 24th • 7:30 PM
- The James River, 4800 Welby Turn, Midlothian
- Free to watch!
Photo by: Xanboozled