Some happy things, some sad things, some meat-based things, some athletic things. This weekend has a lot going for it, if you like fun. DO YOU?
Just stop right there for one second before you actually believe there are pandas at the Science Museum for you to cuddle and feed bamboo and sneeze at to see them startle. There will not be! But this weekend, the National Geographic film Pandas: The Journey Home premieres at the Dome. It’ll be 40 minutes of the cutest animal in the world (yeah, you heard me, koalas) (you too, baby penguins) (you too, Petrie from The Land Before Time). Learn more about pandas, the people who protect them, and the journey of one real-life captive panda released into the wild.
- Saturday, August 16th – Thursday, November 27th • see site for times
- Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street
- $9 ($5 for members)
GWAR fans and Richmonders got a terrible shock earlier this year when Dave Brockie (aka Oderus Urungus) passed out of this life and into one that, we all hope, is treating him beautifully. Celebrate a fascinating life with the fascinating band he left behind at GWAR-B-Q, which is not for the faint of heart or stomach. This festival hits a number of venues, but centers around Haddad’s, filling the void that Best Friend’s Day left in the hearts of some people. Food, music, and the support of pit bull rescue and the Dave Brockie Fund.
- Saturday, August 16th • 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Haddad’s Lake, 7900 Osbourne Turnpike
A sporting event in which I have participated! The Anthem Moonlight Ride is both relaxing and energizing–a contradiction in and of itself! It’s fun to ride at night with a bunch of glowsticks tied to your bike and person! Online registration is now closed, but you can walk up and register on game day.
- Saturday, August 16th • 12:00 PM and 2:00 AM
- Starting from Sports Backers Stadium, 100 Avenue of Champions
- $30, with discounts available
4. RVA Brew-B-Q
More barbecue! This one, in its third triumphant year, celebrates that population of the city that enjoys BOTH barbecue and craft beer! It’s like the GWAR-B-Q without all that fake blood. And probably no PBR, but don’t quote me on that. It’s bound to be boozy, bubbly fun. The kind that gives you meat sweats–artisanal meat sweats.
- Sunday, August 17th • 12:00 – 5:00 PM
- 17th Street Farmers Market, 17th Street and Main Street
- Free to attend!
5. A Williams-Bacall Film Fest
The world lost two greats this week: 1) comedian and beloved British nanny Robin Williams and 2) glamorous, wry star of the golden age of cinema, Lauren Bacall. Nine Williams films are on Netflix Instant, including Hook and The Birdcage, and six Bacall films are as well (although only one from the Good Old Days–How to Marry a Millionaire). Crazy fact: Williams and Bacall appear to have been in a film together?? Try Get Bruce for a glimpse of both of them (as well as about 500 other celebrities). Celebrate two great lives, and keep a box of tissues handy.
- All weekend long. All your LIFE long.
- Your couch, a friend’s couch, or in bed with an iPad (or in bed with your friend’s iPad, but you should probably give that back)
- However you like to pay for your movies
Photo by: Toby Garden