Last weekend paid us a lot of money under the table to pretend like it was the start of the holiday season. This weekend paid us more.
Here the holidays REALLY are, everyone, and they’re so big we couldn’t contain ’em. So check out 5 Things for Families for another slew of things to distract you from all the shopping you’re not doing.
— ∮∮∮ —
BIZ BAZ! You are back again to delight us with miles and miles of craftiness. The Bizarre Bazaar (now celebrating its 38th anniversary, which, we hope, is the wooden anniversary) is a sea of Christmas sweaters, tree-toppers, and so much more. Plus, it’s a Richmond tradition, and we DO NOT TOLERATE skipping Richmond traditions. But…if you don’t feel like braving the crowds? Take a deep breath, and try the Hills & Heights Holiday Craft Market instead.
- Thursday, December 5th – Sunday, December 8th • see site for times
- Richmond Raceway Complex, 600 E. Laburnum Avenue
- $7 for adults, $1.50 for children
TheaterLAB doesn’t shy away from doing edgy things, but it also doesn’t shy away from doing funny things. It’s just not shy, OK? These fine folks are bringing us a new comedy about how quitting smoking makes you an insane person around whom everyone else tiptoes. And sometimes the tiptoers seem so FRIGGING smug you’d have no idea they were harboring their own demons. But oh, those demons are diabolical.
- Thursday, December 5th – Sunday, December 15th • see site for times
- RVA Event Space, 0 E. 4th Street
- $15 – $20
3. Let It Snow!
Just hear those sleigh bells jingling something somethinging tooooo! Hear better renditions than that (if that’s possible) at the symphony this weekend, where you’ll be treated to a supremely festive couple of hours. There’s also the free performance by the Youth Concert Orchestra on Sunday night, which is an inspiring thing (and also an enraging thing, if you’re the kind of person who regrets not being a child prodigy).
- Saturday, December 7th – Sunday, December 8th • see site for times
- Carpenter Theatre, 600 E. Grace Street
- Starting at $10
House tours are the ultimate best. A sanctioned way to snoop around people’s houses and wonder what exact kind of color-blindness they must be suffering from. The holiday house tours are even better, as everyone’s full to bursting with cheer. Plus, everyone’s pretty much in agreement as to what the appropriate colors are.
- Saturday, December 7th – Sunday, December 8th • 1:00 – 6:00 PM
- 11 different houses!
Blogger Marc Cheatham has got to have the most energy of anyone in the city. He’s turned his popular site, The Cheats Movement Blog, into a diverse musical event out at Browns Island. Catch Anousheh, Ohbliv, Photosynthesizers, and more, plus the Richmond Comedy Coalition, Kindness Girl, and open mic hip hop freestyle???? Sunday night hibernation, be gone from me! I am hot saucing it up!
- Sunday, December 8th • 6:30 – 11:30 PM
- Gallery5, 200 W. Marshall Street
- Improv Festivus – Saturday, December 14th
- Handmade Holiday Craft Show – Saturday, December 14th
- Midnight Suggestion Holiday Pageant feat. Jeff Simmermon – Friday, December 20th