We’re going a little highbrow this weekend, I hope that’s OK. We’ve got a crowd-sourced library all about you, a party on the river, a party on a hill, a party in the form of a really cool pop-up shop, and then tons of Beethoven (who, let’s be honest, partied very little).
Looking for things to do with the smaller versions of yourself? Fire up the family wagon and take a looksee at 5 Things for Families.
— ∮∮∮ —
The People’s Library: my favorite project of 2013. Basically, these rad folks MADE books (like, the paper and everything), and you go check them out (like actually check them out of the library) and tell the world all about yourself (like actually tell the world your story by writing it in the book). Then you return it and…guys, it’s the best thing ever. Your story, archived, for anyone to check out.
- Friday, September 20th • 5:00 – 7:30 PM
- Richmond Public Library – Main Branch, 101 E. Franklin Street
Dooley Noted, Richmond’s most cleverly named young professional group, has their big event Friday at Maymont (duh). I hear there will be wine and possibly…beer?, and that it will almost certainly be classic. Plus, live music and one of the city’s most picturesque spots to watch the sun go down. Then, turn in semi-early and save your strength for…(psst this is where you jump down to the next one)…
- Friday, September 20th • 7:00 – 10:30 PM
- Maymont, 1700 Hampton Street
- $25 for members, $30 for non-members, $15 for designated drivers
As we’ve just learned, partying is all the more bodacious when it benefits a cause. Join tons of other people as they dance casually to Three Sheets to the Wind down at Rocketts Landing. And that’s not all they’ll be casually doing. Catering, drinks, a silent auction, and the motherflipping river, man! That is a heck of a party, and I’m thinking that if you hit Maymont Friday night and this one Saturday, you can cancel out a potentially wicked Sunday hangover with knowing that you have done a lotta good for the world.
- Saturday, September 21st • 6:00 PM
- Rocketts Landing, 5000 Old Osborne Turnpike
- $50 general admission, $75 if you’d like to be a Patron and donate $25 to cancer research
Oh, excuse me! Northern Grade is coming to town, and if you don’t know what I’m talking about, check out our write-up. It’s only the coolest, most legit, granddaddy of fashionable pop-ups, brought to us in conjunction with Need Supply Co., our resident Big National Deal retailer. And fall is a great time to spruce up your wardrobe. Not saying your wardrobe needs sprucing. No really. It’s fine. It’s FINE.
- Saturday, September 21st • 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM and Sunday, September 22nd • 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Power Plant at Haxall Point, 1001 Haxall Point
- Bring that wallet!
And…the grand finale to a perfect weekend, a Beethoven fiesta courtesy of the Richmond Symphony. You’ve got your Overture to Fidelio, then here comes your Concerto No. 4, and then over here you’ve got your Third Symphony (aka “Eroica,” which is NOT, I repeat, NOT a Madonna song from the mid-90s). My favorite composer’s favorite symphony? I will take personal offense if you miss it. How dare you.
- Saturday, September 21st • 8:00 PM and Sunday, September 22nd • 3:00 PM
- Carpenter Theatre, 600 E. Grace Street
- $10 – $76