Basically, this Saturday is going to be epic. I typically don’t try to load all of my Things onto one day, but…do you cut a bird festival? A barn dance? A RUNNING OF THE BULLS?
Looking for things to do with the smaller versions of yourself? Fire up the family wagon and take a looksee at 5 Things for Families.
— ∮∮∮ —
If there’s one thing I know about sports, it’s that people play them. And those people, if paid handsomely enough, assemble at conventions and hand out autographs in order to thrill plebeians like us. Let us go together and worship at the feet of Darryl Strawberry and Dennis Rodman. Maybe they’ll sign the top of our heads? At the very least, maybe we’ll get to roll up our sleeves and help out the guy with the custom Redskins barber chair. (No joke, check out the event’s Facebook wall). SPORTS!
- Friday, August 23rd – Sunday, August 25th • see site for schedule of appearances
- Richmond Convention Center, 403 N. 3rd Street
- Free admission (you pay for the stuff, plus there’s a $99 VIP package that gets you more facetime with more athletes)
“Ride for Jim.” Sounds like a fun, low-pressure bike ride to honor the memory of a guy who was probably really great, right? Almost right. The actual Ride for Jim is a bike ride, sure, and its purpose is to fund a scholarship for medical students to explore cancer research. But the ride starts on one side of America AND ENDS UP ON THE OTHER. You won’t be expected to do that this Saturday between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM, hardly anyone except me could, but you can take part in a very scenic ride around Central Virginia farmland and then cool your heels at a really fun party. The proceeds help fund the Big Ride, so you’re really helping a lot of people, here.
- Saturday, August 24th • 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Mica Mine Farm, 14066 Old Ridge Road, Beaverdam
- See site for various route and party prices
If you’re like me, you’ve always found organized races lacking in something that’s hard to put your finger on. Spontaneity, perhaps. Or maybe a lack of sheer animal terror. Or maybe a lack of animal. The Great Bull Run comes to the Richmond area on Saturday, complete with Tomato Royale and accompanying parties. We may not ever look as beautiful and nap as well as the Spanish, but we can certainly have similar near-death experiences.
- Saturday, August 24th • 11:00 AM
- Virginia Motorsports Park, 8018 Boydton Plank Road, Petersburg
- See site for various package prices
It wouldn’t be an RVA weekend without Hardywood reeling us in like a tractor beam. This week, they’re leveling up by hosting River City Barn Dance! Put together by RVA Squares, which might be a little bit of a misleading name, as they are certainly the coolest people in the city. Come to the land of beer and move around in a fun formation as the bands play honky tonk and Western swing. Oh, and you can learn, too, if you’re a total n00b. Just don’t wear a restrictive pencil skirt or anything. That much I do know.
- Saturday, August 24th • 4:00 – 9:00 PM
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery, 2408 Ownby Lane
Reconnect with nature on Saturday evening—3,000 little pieces of nature, that is. The purple martins are coming back to their favorite little line of Bradford pears. This natural phenomenon is quite cool to watch and, let’s be honest, is perfect Instagram material. And we all know you need more Instagram material. And more purple gelato. And more reasons to hang around outside on a pleasant Richmond summer evening, gazing at birds and not sweating any dang thing at all.
- August 24th • 6:00 – 9:00 PM
- 17th Street Farmers’ Market, 17th and Main Streets
- Free to attend!
Check out our piece on the Well Worn Market, and get that much closer to dressing like a for-real adult.
- Sunday, August 25th • 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Gallery5, 200 W. Marshall Street
- Free to attend!
— ∮∮∮ —
- Jammin’ on the James Concert Series at Wilton House – see schedule
- Fall Line Fest – September 6th-7th
- RVA Street Art Festival – September 11th-15gh
- VCU Broad Street Mile – September 28th
Theatre](https://www.facebook.com/events/186962951479868/) – October 5th
- The Richmond Folk Festival – October 11th – 13th
- David Sedaris tickets now on sale – October 19th
Photo by: vladeb