What a spring this has been! It’s warm! It’s cold! It’s warmish-cold! Celebrate spring for realsies this weekend with a bucketload of fun stuff to do.
1. NASCAR NASCAR NASCAR
Prepare yourself for THREE FULL DAYS of cars whipping by, rubber melting onto pavement, and plenty of unfortunate fashion choices. This weekend kicks off RIR’s season with terrifyingly popular events like the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown, Toyota Owners 400, ToyotaCare 250, and the Blue Ox 100. You might as well just pack a tent and go live at RIR, because this sounds like possibly the most fun anyone will ever have ever. Plus, you can cut the sleeves off a t-shirt that depicts lightning striking a pack of wolves and wear it like a super revealing tank top. That is not something you can say for every event.
- Friday, April 25th – Sunday, April 27th • see site for times
- RIchmond International Raceway, 600 E. Laburnum Avenue
- Various ticket package options
2. Virginia Opera – The Marriage of Figaro
That cheeky Mozart. Always writing jaunty little tunes and thinking about seducing maidservants. (I’m basing a lot of my knowledge here on the film, Amadeus, so I’m pretty sure I’m 100% accurate). Anyway, Figaro’s hella famous and isn’t one of those stuffy operas. Nope, it’s funny and fast-paced, and you’ll enjoy yourself. The Virginia Opera only stops in our city twice per production (AHEM), so do not delay in purchasing tickets. Like a fleeting comet or a brood of cicadas, they’ll be gone before you know it.
- Friday, April 26th at 8:00 PM & Sunday, April 28th at 2:30 PM
- Carpenter Theatre at CenterStage, 600 E. Grace Street
3. River City Rollergirls Double Header
Roller derby seems like the most intimidating sport in the universe, and Richmond’s team could probably take on a burly, red-cheeked rugby squad any day of the week. Not only that, but they are sharp as tacks. Seriously! Check out their About page! They’ve got missions and values and standards and they love the community. The RCR also seem more than prepared to host last year’s fourth place winners, Ohio Roller Girls, for a double header that will roll down in history. And you know what I love about Ohio? NOTHING. DESTROY THEM, RCR!
- Saturday, April 27th • 4:00 PM
- Greater Richmond Convention Center, 403 N. Third Street
- $10 for adults, $8 for groups, $7 for kids
4. Byrd House Bash
A constant source of direction and motivation for all sorts of Richmonders who need one or both of those things, the William Byrd Community House celebrates its 90th birthday by going all out. There will be a silent auction, of course, but also refreshments provided by some of your favorite local restaurants, live music, and, well, you know. Dancing. Dancing until you can’t dance anymore. That’s what a bash is about, anyway, and your feet will be made all the lighter knowing that you’re helping one of the best causes in town.
- Saturday, April 27th • 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM
- Historic Tredegar, 500 Tredegar Street
5. Virginia Screenwriters Forum
I have no idea why, but I have a soft spot for writers. Those summer blockbusters you love? Somebody wrote those (although sometimes that’s hard to believe). It existed in a brain of a writer before it became “reality.” A director gave it vision, and actors made it sing. But writers are basically gods that create everything that’s entertaining and great. There, I said it. The Virginia Screenwriters Forum gives budding screenwriters a chance to have their script read at a table read and to receive feedback from a kindly yet discriminating audience. It’s really fun, and you get to meet gods, sooooo…
- Sunday, April 28th • 1:00 – 3:30 PM
- Gottwald Playhouse at CenterStage, 600 E. Grace Street
- Free, but you gotta register
— ∮∮∮ —
- Innsbrook After Hours has announced its 2013 schedule, which includes Pat McGee, Sheryl Crow, and Peter Frampton
- Friday Cheers starts its 2013 season next Friday, May 3rd, with Shovels and Rope
- Arts in the Park – May 4th & May 5th
- Schmooza Palooza – May 9th
- David Sedaris tickets now on sale – October 19th
Photo by: jerbec
Report an error
Subscribe to our
There is 1 reader comment. Read it.