The weather for this weekend is looking downright Autumntastic, so I better not find out that you lot spent the first days of this most magnificent season sitting on your duffs watching Netflix.
The weather for this weekend is looking downright Autumntastic, so I better not find out that you lot spent the first days of this most magnificent season sitting on your duffs watching Netflix. There is fun to be had in this city! Get out and get you some!
1. Two Man Gentlemen Band with the Richmanian Ramblers
They are two men, they are gentlemen, and they are also in a band–a band that happens to play cleverly composed lyrics backed by rowdy, retro tunes. Joining The Gentlemen this time around are the Richmanian Ramblers, Richmond’s own purveyor of traditional Romanian folk music fronted by the force that is Antonia Vassar. Seriously, girl has got some pipes.
- Thurs. Sep. 20 • 10:00PM
- Balliceaux, 203 N. Lombardy St.
2. St. Benedict Oktoberfest
In my humble opinion, St. Benedict’s Oktoberfest is one of the best events the Museum District has to offer. I mean, come on! Three days of beers! brats! something else German that starts with the letter B! So gather up your Freunden and get on over there. And check out the list of beers here–which you can drink out of your very own commemorative stein.
- Fri. Sep. 21, Sat. Sep. 22, & Sun. Sep. 23 hours vary, so check the website
- St. Benedict Catholic Church, 300 N. Sheppard St.
- Free admission (food and beverage prices vary–and bring cash because not all of the vendors will accept credit cards)
3. Insomnia Theater: The Goonies
The Truffle Shuffle on the big screen. I believe that’s all I need to say.
- Fri. Sep. 21 & Sat. Sep. 22 • 11:30PM
- Movieland, 1301 N. Boulevard
- $5.50 ($4.50 with your Criterion Club Card)
4. Family Fun Fest
CMoR really pulled out all the stops with this one: firetrucks, helicopters, Nutzy, and…
…wait for it…
So many teeny young minds will be blown to smithereens! But, you know, in a good way. And as if the the red guy weren’t enough, CMoR members–and CMoR members ONLY–have the chance to see The Avengers (Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and The Hulk) perform. More info on that here.
- Sat. Sep. 22 • 10:00AM
- HCA Virginia’s West Creek Emergency Center, 12720 Tuckahoe Creek Ct.
- Free admission (food will be available for purchase)
5. My Heart Is An Idiot: FOUND Magazine’s 10th Anniversary Tour!
Davy Rothbart, co-creator and editor of FOUND, is continuing his celebration of the magazine’s 10th anniversary right here in Richmond. For those of you not familiar with FOUND, it basically highlights how people are really awesome and sometimes really weird. As the website explains, they “collect FOUND stuff: love letters, birthday cards, kids’ homework, to-do lists, ticket stubs, poetry on napkins, receipts, doodles– anything that gives a glimpse into someone else’s life.”
This celebratory show will feature readings from Davy highlighting some of the latest and greatest submissions that have popped up in FOUND’s inbox, as well as some snippets from his new book, My Heart is an Idiot. Meanwhile, Davy’s brother, Peter, will serenade us with songs based on actual FOUND notes. The concept of this event sounds so delightful that it almost makes me forgive Davy for the fact that I had to type “found” in all caps so many times while writing this blurb.
- Sun. Sep. 23 • 8:00PM
- Firehouse Theatre, 1609 W. Broad St,
- $5 (benefiting Books on Wheels)
Report an error
Subscribe to our
There is 1 reader comment. Read it.