First ceremony is on June 3rd the last on June 14th.
As we head into summer it’s time for all the local High Schools to say goodbye to their local school as they head on to either higher education or local jobs. Before they go though they must receive a piece of paper in a grand ceremony full of pomp and circumstance. This ceremony might affect your ability to get around and park. You’ve been warned.
The Virginia Commonwealth University Police Department expects an increase in traffic near VCU’s Monroe Park Campus and around the Stuart C. Siegel Center during high school graduation ceremonies next month. Twenty-five public high schools from Chesterfield, Hanover, Henrico and New Kent counties, a private school and a technical school will host ceremonies at the Siegel Center between June 3 and June 14.
Graduating students and their guests are advised to arrive early at the Siegel Center. Attendance for the ceremonies is expected to range from 2,500 to more than 6,000. In anticipation of these events, VCU Police, VCU Parking and Transportation, the City of Richmond Transportation Engineering Division and the Richmond Police Department have established a regional traffic plan and have added staffing.
Law enforcement officers will be directing traffic around the Siegel Center at each graduation.
“We encourage graduates and guests to give themselves extra time for travel and parking at their respective events,” said VCU Police Capt. Sean Ingram. “Drivers who are not attending ceremonies may want to consider alternate routes on those dates. We’re here to keep traffic moving smoothly and safely, so we appreciate the public’s patience as they travel through the Monroe Park Campus.”
Attendees can park in the West Broad Street Parking Deck at 1111 W. Broad St. and at the Bowe Street Parking Deck at 601 Bowe St. The Siegel Center is located at 1200 W. Broad St.
2014 SIEGEL CENTER GRADUATION SCHEDULE
(Doors open one hour prior to start for all ceremonies)
Tuesday, June 3
· 3 p.m., St. Gertrude High School
Thursday, June 5
· 10 a.m., Monacan High School
· 2:30 p.m., Clover Hill High School
· 7 p.m., Cosby High School
Friday, June 6
· 10 a.m., Thomas Dale High School
· 2:30 p.m., Midlothian High School
· 7 p.m., James River High School
Saturday, June 7
· 10 a.m., Meadowbrook High School
· 2 p.m., L.C. Bird High School
Monday, June 9
· 10 a.m., Matoaca High School
· 2:30 p.m., Manchester High School
· 7 p.m., Community High School
Tuesday, June 10
· 11 a.m., Glen Allen High School
· 3 p.m., Henrico High School
· 7 p.m., Highland Springs High School
Wednesday, June 11
· 11 a.m., Deep Run High School
· 3 p.m., Hermitage High School
· 7 p.m., J.R. Tucker High School
Thursday, June 12
· 11 a.m., Mills E. Godwin High School
· 3 p.m., Douglas S. Freeman High School
· 7 p.m., Varina High School
Friday, June 13
· 1 p.m., ECPI
· 7 p.m., New Kent High School
Saturday, June 14
· 8:30 a.m., Atlee High School
· Noon, Lee Davis High School
· 3:30 p.m., Hanover High School
· 7 p.m., Patrick Henry High School