The fourth edition of Friday Cheers, featuring The Head and the Heart and Black Girls, reminds us that even if you’re a famous musician, everyone comes back to RVA.
For their fourth installment, Friday Cheers brings The Head and the Heart and Black Girls to the shores of the James River this Friday at 6:00 PM. Tickets are $10 and children under 12 are free. Here’s a quick preview of what to expect this week, and there’s always more info on the Facebook event page.
— ∮∮∮ —
The Head and the Heart
- Genre: Indie folk strummalot
- Sounds kinda like: Lumineers & Sons
- Sweet jam: “Lost in My Mind”
- Listen to the album The Head and the Heart on rdio »
The Head and the Heart hail from Seattle, and they’re signed to Sub Pop. Don’t let their Northwest-heavy curriculum vitae fool you, though, this band has serious Richmond roots. Both drummer Tyler Willams and vocalist/guitarist Jonathan Russell are RVA transplants. You can take our musicians, Pacific Northwest, but you’ll never take our…FREEDOM!!!!
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: This is from their homepage, which seems too good not to use: “Certified bona fide puddy minin’ jelly siftin judge tauntin’ rum guzzlin’ high fivin’ mud skatin’ whiskey totin’ gun slingin’ zest havin’ hootin’ hollerin’ baccy smokin’ sonuva jamenson”
- Sounds kinda like: Prince + Jim Morrison + Modest Mouse + Richmond + Good Times
- Sweet jam: “South Carolina”
- Listen to the album Hell Dragon on rdio »
Are you looking for a good time, kid? Which totally sounds like something a naked guy in a trench coat would say to you–but I’m neither naked nor trying to convince you to get into the back of my van! I am, however, trying to convince you to not miss Black Girls at Friday Cheers this week. They’re fun, dancey, local, and totally rad–not to be missed!
Photo via wfuv