This week Friday Cheers kicks off its 2013 season with Shovels & Rope and Hayes Carll.
This week Friday Cheers kicks off its 2013 season with Shovels & Rope and Hayes Carll. Tickets are $5 and children under 12 are free. Here’s a quick preview of what to expect this week, and there’s always more info on the Facebook event page.
— ∮∮∮ —
Shovels & Rope
- Genre: Folk
- Sounds kinda like: Jack White plus June Carter divide by lots of cheap beer
- Sweet jam: “Birmingham”, although “Cavalier” is a personal favorite
- Listen to the album O’ Be Joyful on rdio »
Shovels & Rope are a folky, indie duo from Charleston that are…married to each other. Working with your spouse day-to-day can be challenging, but can you imagine going on tour with them? For months at a time? Watching their complexion slowly turn gray after endless fast food meals? I guess what I’m saying is catch them while you can at Friday Cheers this week.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: Country rock
- Sounds kinda like: If Texas cloned Bob Dylan
- Sweet jam: “Another Like You”. But if country storysongs turn you off, check out “KMAG YOYO” (which may be a military-esque acronym for “kiss my ass guys, you’re on your own.”)
- Listen to the album KMAG YOYO (& Other American Stories) on rdio »
Country music certainly isn’t my jam, but guys, you need to listen to the titular track off of Hayes’s KMAG YOYO–there’s definitely enough material in there for a couple of sweet air-guitar solos. If the country twang ain’t your thang, Hayes is still probably worth your time!