This week Friday Cheers brings three local acts to the big island stage.
All things RVA kick off this Friday 6:00 PM; tickets are $10, and children under 12 are free. Here’s a quick preview of what to expect this week, and, of course, there’s more info on their Facebook page.
And don’t forget: Friday Cheers celebrates their 30th anniversary this year! Join in the celebrations by tagging your various social medias with #CheersTo30.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: Psychedelic rock
- Sounds kinda like: Last call at your favorite bar
- Sweet jam: “Evil”
- Listen to the album: Empty Light on rdio »
Members of HyperColor, The Head and the Heart, and The Trillions come together to form this, RVA’s own supergroup. You’ve probably heard of all of those other bands before, so if you haven’t yet heard of Avers, you’re pretty much a bad person.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: Jazz-like funky sound collages, I guess? Maybe kinda like Herbie Hancock?
- Sounds kinda like: A magic carpet ride made of tunes
- Sweet jam: “Punchtown”
- Listen to the album: Things on rdio »
I’m deeply enamored with this Todd Herrington album. It’s got funky beats, electronic instruments, real instruments, and plenty of other weird stuff thrown in for good measure. It’s exactly the type of thing that’ll get you through that 2:00 PM slump at the office.
— ∮∮∮ —
The Green Boys
- Genre: Half-serious country-revival
- Sounds kinda like: (Roger Miller + Dolly Parton) / 2
- Sweet jam: “Yes and No”
- Listen to the album: The Green Boys on rdio »
It’s country that you can dig without cowboy boots! Three reasons to listen to The Green Boys:
- Two brothers, Sean and Ryan Green, front the band! Adorable.
- No seriously, they’re adorable. Don’t take my word for it.
- They cover “I Wanna Be Like You” on their new album.
Photo courtesy: Avers